Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advise or thoughts appreciated.
chester is 10 months old and just over a month ago we noticed some hair loss around both eyes coupled with large amounts of white ish discharge. We took him to the vet and they thought it’s maybe been an allergy to something and that the hair will grow back in time. But the hair has continued to come out and is definitely now causing him to itch. It also has a flaky appearance. I will attach a photo. We are changing him onto a hypoallergenic food.
Eye Eyelash Dog breed Carnivore Liver

·
Administrator
8,878 Posts
Did they do a skin scraping for mites?
If it is allergies, and it’s itchy, he’s likely rubbing the hair off. The allergy would have to be controlled, for the hair to come back.

Reactions: Morris13

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have had a terrible time with the vets. We expected a skin scrape when we first noticed the hair loss but they said he didn’t need it. They then gave him a steroid which caused an awful UTI which lasted 3 weeks. Our daycare called us today to say it’s definitely mange so finally the vet has listened and booked him in for a skin scrape (6 weeks after our first visit!)

·
Administrator
8,878 Posts
I think I would’ve chosen the skin scrape, before a steroid shot. Did your vet ever mention, that some dogs have to pee constantly when they give them steroids. Mites bury deep in the skin, and vets don’t always find them when the hair loss first starts. As they multiply, they are easier to find. NexGard, revolution, and a few of the other flea preventatives, also treat mites.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Looks like demodex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s my thoughts too. We have our appt at the vets today to get the skin scraping done. I’ll post a picture to show how much worse it’s got in a week.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The good thing about demodex is no treatment is necessary in most cases. Just keep the pup healthy and it's very likely just puppy stuff

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried but that's just my opinion

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. It’s good to know. This is our first dog so new to all of this. And would obviously prefer his hair not to fall out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Almost every V pup I've known has had demodex at some point and it's usually around the eyes/muzzle. The hair will grow back - it does take a few months for the demodex to go away and hair to return. What do you feed? I'd treat this with a healthy diet + immune boosting supplements like salmon oil and a probiotic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, that’s reassuring. We have just moved him onto Millie’s Wolfheart utility mix (whitefish + salmon) it’s also hypoallergenic and very popular with vizsla owners in the UK. Maybe we need to add in some supplements too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm very pro-raw diet, especially when dogs are experiencing chronic, nagging health issues, but not all people are into that.

If you get a diagnosis of demodex, doing nothing/boosting immune is what I would do over any medical treatment. All dogs have demodectic mites, when they lose hair it is a sign they aren't regulating the effect of the mites as their body should normally be doing. It's a sign their immune system is struggling a bit. A lot of it is likely just puppy growing pains.

Reactions: Gabica and Morris13

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They did the skin scraping and came back negative for demodex. I’m at a loss now, no idea what else could be causing the hair loss and red ears.

·
Administrator
8,878 Posts
Some dogs have a problem with air freshers, candles, or cleaning products we use in the house. I was really hoping it was not some sort of allergy reaction, because those are harder to figure out.
A lot of ragweed pollen in my area right now. Two of my dogs are on Zyrtec, until it’s over.
Have you asked the breeder, if any other dogs in the litter are having the same problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts