Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooo........

After registering with a few rescue groups a few months ago (GSP/Vizsla/Weimaraner) I have been matched with a potential adoption. :D

His name is Griffin, he is a 2-year-old Weim, and I am bringing him home this Saturday. I have agreed to foster him for 30 days, see how it goes, and then either adopt him or keep him until another home is found for him.

I am excited and nervous! The current owners have had him since he was a pup and they also have a Vizsla. They have 3 kids, are SUPER busy and Griffin isn't getting the attention he needs.

He has recently undergone a behavioral boot camp of sorts to prepare him for his new home, and from what I understand has done very well.

He is BIG! 80 lbs. big. Compared to my Hobie (who is 35 lbs at almost 1 year) he is huge. I am excited to see them together, and obviously hope they bond with each other.

Does any owner of multiple dogs have any advice for me?? I want this to be successful and minimize stress on him and Hobie. I have lots of notes about him and he seems like a genuinely great dog. Crate trained, housebroken, invisible fence trained. Great in the car. I think he needs more exercise but he does go on runs periodically.

I think Hobie will enjoy having a companion too.

Any insight you have to share is much appreciated!!!

Mel

·
Registered
809 Posts
Mel,
Sounds like he is a fine dog.
I am sure you and Hobie will be fine.
Congratulations on the rescue and good luck. I am sure you will all have a blast.

·
Registered
110 Posts
He sounds great; that is exciting! I don't have two dogs, so I can't really comment, but it sounds like it could work out really well.

Congratulations, and have fun on Saturday!

·
Registered
104 Posts
How awesome! Our neighbor does Old English Rescue and I just love hearing all the stories. Whether you are a foster home or a forever home - you are doing an awesome thing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice! I am sure Hobie will love Griffin.

We are thinking about a secund dog too. I interested in your findings!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Griffin came home last weekend. It was a rough start but it's gotten better each day. He's twice the size of Hobie and is definitely the dominant dog. They are playing together nicely and learning their places in my home.

I'll spend the next month really observing the two of them to see if it would be good to have him here permanently. It will obviously be a major commitment.

I feel like I'm getting two kids ready for school when I leave in the mornings! ;D

Two dogs definitely require more planning than one. But it's been very nice to see them snoozing on the couch together and playing tug of war together. I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Griffin sounds really cool. 8)
I think you'll be fine if you let them work it out, and just sort of act as a referee.

I have the two V's and Gunnr is pretty dominant, but sometimes Tika has just had enough and knocks Gunnr flying, or puts her into a tree. :eek: So watch for Hobie to reassert himself once he processes everything. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made a trip to the vet yesterday - Griffin is somewhat territorial with my bed and went for Hobie when she and I were sleeping in it the other morning. No stitches since it's a puncture wound (ribcage) but it's a pretty significant wound.

He went for her face when she was eating this morning too. My husband tried to stop him but it was too late.

Im in a very tough spot - as I said, they play together very nicely sometimes but other times he just goes for her with no notice. It's very unpredictable and difficult to control.

I'm feeling some pressure from the rescue group to "work with him" but it's hard to see Hobie crying and scared, with cuts in several places.

Today is her 1st birthday btw.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of those developments. Poor Hob'

Sometimes things don't work out. We'd like them too, but sometimes they just don't.

Look at what is best for Hobie and Griffin. Be fair too Griffin. If the situation just won't work out, Griffin needs a chance to find a new home as soon as possible.
Your heart may tell you to wait it out, but he needs his chance.
It's a tough choice no matter what.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Happy Birthday to Hobie.

I would look out for Hobie's best interest first. I know you are trying to do right by Griffin, but if he is being too much of a "bully" it might not be the best scenario for either of you.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts