Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! We have a three month old Vizsla named Greta. She is just amazing. However, we found out today that she DESPISES the rain. We even tried carrying her out to put her in the middle of the grass but she just screams and wants to come back in. We do have a cement patio that is covered however, she is used to going on grass so I am not sure how to train her to go on the cement, if that’s an option. Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi there! We have a three month old Vizsla named Greta. She is just amazing. However, we found out today that she DESPISES the rain. We even tried carrying her out to put her in the middle of the grass but she just screams and wants to come back in. We do have a cement patio that is covered however, she is used to going on grass so I am not sure how to train her to go on the cement, if that’s an option. Any advice is much appreciated!
My girl does not like to go potty the rain either. But she will play or hunt in it! When she was very young I was worried she would be afraid of thunderstorms, so when the first storm rolled through I took her out in the rain and the lightning and the thunder and we played and splashed and just had a really good time. Now at a year and a half she is more than happy to go outside and play no matter the weather--- as long as I go first. 😂
Now going potty is a different matter- I do have to coax and cajole and convince her. Shofe is very food motivated, so a treat will often get her to take that first reluctant step. Having said that, there are still days that she is absolutely resolute that she is not going out, and in that case she just holds it until the rain lets up. Crazy pups.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Hi there! We have a three month old Vizsla named Greta. She is just amazing. However, we found out today that she DESPISES the rain.
LOLZ! this is too funny! Only because you'll find that MANY vizslas hate the rain, if they are inside and it's potty time.

Aly was/is the very same way! A little difference: Being in upstate NY, Aly didn't see rain until she was about 5 months old. Before that, it was all snow.

Regardless! As I did with Aly at three months old, no matter what the weather was....put the appropriate coat on. Potty break every hour! Goto her normal spot. Interact with her and talk to her (I even brought out rubber type toys, to give her something besides the rain to have a little focus on). If she doesn't eliminate after five or so minutes, back inside for 10 or 15 minutes as you watch her closely... then back outside ya go.

It won't be long and Greta will better understand when you goto her potty spot, it'll be expected she "performs".

At three months old, it's quite a critical time in their potty training. Yes, what I've described is time consuming! Though, consider it an investment! Right now, most important is that you setup Greta for success. Don't fret! Greta will learn, she's not made of sugar and will melt in the rain.

To date... Aly now being 19 months old... she STILL hates going outside in the rain to go potty! Though, now... I let her decide how bad she's gotta "go"! As, she hasn't made a potty "mistake" since she was 2.5 months old!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It’s a weird dog thing.
Finn acts like you’re torturing him by making him “do his stuff” in the rain, unless he has his dog coat on.
Get Finn in a field playing or hunting in the rain, and it’s completely different. He could care less. With, or without, his coat.
Just keep working with her. Put her on a leash and go stand out there with her if need be.
what you could try is a dog coat. For some reason, Finn thinks he’s invulnerable in his dog voat, and will go out in the rain willingly. Maybe something to try?

·
Registered
Ellie
534 Posts
Ellie hates the rain, and even damp grass in the morning, it may as well be acid. Then again out in the field nothing bothers her. Seems this behavior is the norm. Just have to get a big umbrella and stand out there with her till she goes. She'll learn quickly that the fastest way back in the house is to potty! Give big praise and the reward is going back into the house to cuddle under a blanket away from evil death rain!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts