Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -- I've had my Vizsla, Willie for a couple of years now, but just found these forums. Willie's story started out pretty sad. He was a lost dog, maybe about two-years-old. He was running around loose in a neighborhood for two or three weeks. It was the middle of a Michigan winter and night time temps were hitting about 10 degrees below zero. He was starving and looked pretty much like a skeleton. Some kind soul finally called the local "dog catcher" and that phone call saved his life! He ended up in the dog pound. I found him on the web site called www.petfinder.com and went to adopt him. He cost me $37. I had him back to good health in about a month. Now he is my very best buddy! Everywhere we go, people comment on how beautiful he is. He is also very sweet and loving. I have heard people say that Vizsla are "hyper" but I think the truth is that they are just extremely playful. I'm a retired lady, 63-years-old, and Willie is the light of my life!

·
Registered
794 Posts
What a wonderful story! I love these stories where the match was just meant to be :) He looks like a handsome boy! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow what a great story, I alway's thought it was very uncommon to find Visla's at the dog pound, but seems to have worked out well for you, I also think Vizsla's can adapt to whatever life they are brought into as long as its a positive environment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
very, very nice. How do you play with him =]? my mom will be taking care of Granger, when I work and she's 55. She wants to know ways to play with Granger.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again, everyone, and thanks for the nice replies! Yes, I also think it's uncommon to find a Vizsla at the dog pound, but Willie's misfortune was my good luck. I was looking for a Vizsla, but prefer rescue, since I volunteer with the Michigan Humane Society. Anyhow... as to how he gets his exercise... Willie has two laundry baskets full of all manner of toys for indoor play (important on rainy or cold days). When it's nice outside, he has a large, fenced back yard to call his own. I go out with him and throw the ball endlessly. He runs like the wind! He also enjoys hunting out there (chipmunks, squirrels, birds, etc.) but has had limited success. Nevertheless, the hunting keeps him entertained! Willie loves a nice sun bath whenever he can find a decent sunbeam to bask in. I take him for on-leash walks, which are really more for me than for him. We're still working on that "loose leash" concept. Any tips on how to establish a loose leash habit are welcome!!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
p.s. to Grangeristhename: You asked about how to play games with your Vizsla. Willie likes to jump up in the air to catch a toy, so for indoor play, I toss them up and away for him. You need to be careful not to "bonk" him on the head with a toy, so make it a point to toss in a direction away from him. He also loves TUG, and we play that a lot! I've read that if you are planning to hunt with your dog, you should avoid the tug game, because it can get him out of the habit of holding things softly in his mouth ("soft mouth") which could cause him to ruin a retrieved bird, etc. Since I am not a hunter, this isn't an issue. Willie also loves to play "fetch" outdoors when the weather permits. We do this in a fenced back yard. After play, he loves a nice belly rub to calm him down. :)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JillandDan -- Thank you for the welcome! Yes, this is a nice site, and I am enjoying already, after only a few days. I'm sure we all have funny stories to tell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts