Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's a sign that we aren't feeding her a balanced enough diet, but this time of year our Vizsla loves grazing on fruit in the garden. She's very skilled at eating just the ripe blueberries and raspberries. The strawberries and currants are easy, and she somehow manages to avoid the thorns on the gooseberries.

Her most impressive recent trick has been picking (green) apples off the tree. You know that Vizslas can jump well. Picture a Vizsla crouching and then jumping straight up to pick apples that are 5 ft off the ground. Sometimes she needs a retry, but her aim is pretty good. I'll try to get a video at some point.

Anyone know if there are particular fruits we should be worried about her eating? I recently learned that grapes are supposed to be extremely hazardous to dogs: Can Dogs Eat Grapes?. She hasn't shown any ill effects so far from what she's eaten, but does anyone know if there are other particularly problematic fruits?

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
Apples are fine, but the seeds are not.
Gooseberries can also cause kidney stones in dogs. Basically some dogs snag a few grapes, and show no ill effects. While others go into kidney failure.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
blueberries, strawberries and raspberries are supposed to be particularly good for her, I feed those every morning to my boys with their breakfast, so may well be that your girl is trying to tell you something. I also make sometimes a smoothie for them (and for myself) where I just add to the fruits some kefir and sometimes 100% peanut butter, yummy. if any left over I make doggy ice-cream for their kongs.
for the apples, maybe try and offer her some in a sliced version from time to times so that she does not think self service is the only way :p

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
This is Heifer’s late night snack.
Greek yogurt, fresh blueberries, and a little fresh pineapple.
Dog Dog breed Pet supply Working animal Carnivore

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't figure out how to upload video here, but here are some still photos that give a good flavor. Now that she's picked all the low hanging fruit, she has to up her game, but she'll still persist until she gets one. As Vizsla owners, you are probably all used to stuff like this, but we still laugh in amazement every time she succeeds.

Aiming:
Plant Sky Dog Cloud Tree

First try:
Plant Sky Nature People in nature Cloud

And again:
Plant Sky Cloud People in nature Tree

Finally in reach:
Sky Cloud Plant People in nature Tree

Success!
Sky Cloud Plant Dog Carnivore

·
Administrator