Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Fi GPS collar? Pros/cons? I like the idea that you keep the device and can change the collar as the dog grows . It also doesn’t look overly bulky as some others. Any recommendations are appreciated . Thank you

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yes, I have it. Works great in areas where you have phone coverage. Not really where phone coverage is spotty. Very long battery time. And yes, not bulky at all. For more country settings I use the Garmin.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just placed an order for the Fi 2 collar. Looks like they have a sale for $49. Ellie has been great and have not had a situation where she's run off, but my wife is terrified of letting her off leash in the woods even though I have been on daily hour + walks with her off leash for the past 4 months. I'm thinking the collar will give her piece of mind along with being a nice safety blanket all around for the "just in case". We have good cell tower coverage in the areas we run her , so I'm thinking it will perform well.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have just read a story today, that a husky wearing a FI escaped, and someone thinking it was a wolf shut him. According to the story the metal piece in the FI collar protected the husky from the bullet well enough, he got hit but not severely, just slowed down. That enabled the owner to catch up with him (finding him via cellphone) and taking him to the vet, husky survived.
Well hopefully it will never be needed, but still a good additional protection for our vizslas in my view. Mine have great recall, but i am still worried about simply physically not being able to come back to me, hence the collar. I go with them for whole weekend trips without ever having to bring the collar charger with me.
Oh, and tell your wife they now have very fancy collars you can order for the FI, not just the factory ones, they cost more than the device though lol.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wow must have been a really low power gun for the fi device to deflect it enough. I’m very dubious about the thinking the dog was a wolf story. There are a lot of mean folks out there unfortunately. Great that it still worked and helped, I can’t wait to give it a “shot” ( pun intended) lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts