Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone with experience of the new pup introduction process wanted to weigh in on when they feel a good time is for getting a second pup as a companion. I’ve only ever done one at a time but would love a second at some point in the future as my boy is super dog oriented and think he’d love a friend.

I think I’d like a girl this time around, so obviously with him being a youngster there’s this to consider so opinions are valued here.

· Administrator
9,485 Posts
I’ve gotten them at different times of my other dogs ages. Puppies are tons of work, so it’s better to have the first dog’s training in order. Then decide if you can handle keeping up with the first dogs needs, and still have time/energy to work with the new puppy. I’ve had them only be around a year a part, all the way up to 7-8 years apart in age. Having the first one well trained, does make it a lot easier. It’s tough when your 1 year old decides to start trying to push all the boundaries, and you have a new puppy just learning the boundaries. Best advice is to dedicate the first two years to your first dog. Then decide if you want to add a second.

Reactions: Gabica and rsarvis

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were thinking about two years old before looking properly. He’s a high energy boy but turning into a fab adult so hopefully between 6-18 months on from now would be a good time. Like you said we’ll see how the rest of the teenage phase goes 🤣😅 such fun.

Thanks for your input

· Registered
83 Posts
Puppies are tons of work, so it’s better to have the first dog’s training in order. Then decide if you can handle keeping up with the first dogs needs, and still have time/energy to work with the new puppy.

Best advice is to dedicate the first two years to your first dog. Then decide if you want to add a second.
I (figuratively) can’t wait to get a second dog, but I have to admit that this is indeed the best advice… Samwise has come so far at almost 11 months, but another year of maturing and training and dealing with various surprises is definitely worthwhile before inflicting another puppyhood on myself, as Irresistible as they are. One would hope the mature dog could teach the youngster a thing or two, but if my human kids are any indication, regression of the older seems the more likely. 😂

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yes two under two would be a bit too much for me! I’m on my own so first boy will definitely need to have calmed a little before he ends up teaching a baby all the sock stealing and 360’ spinning traits he’s mastered so far as an only child - I wouldn’t be able to run in two different directions at once 😂🤣🌪

It was more “is there a good window”. I’m not expecting O to ever be a low energy adult so as much as I want him to behaviourally mature I don’t want to miss the boat and him be older and much less tolerant of the process, want him to be happy with it all.

Thanks for your advice!

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Bende was almost 2.5 when 9.5 weeks old Miksa came home. Bende is the high drive type, at the same time he is eager to learn and to please. Bende got a CGC certification at 10 month, he was shown as a puppy successfully, competed in dock diving from 1 year old and went thru a ton of classroom and some field training by the time Miksa came. So the combination of energy, his diverse trainings and reliable good behavior (i.e. no counter surfing, coming when called, tolerating being handled and generally listening to humans) just as his love for puppies gave the indication that he is ready for a little untrained red head challenge. At the beginning I limited their playtime to very short sessions as Bende being in his prime and Miksa wanting to compete with older brother made me worried about possible puppy injuries. So Bende figured that if he lays down on the floor / grass, Miksa can just wiggle and jump around him and their playtime will be less risky - then I started allowing longer playtimes. Miksa was a mouthy pup with plenty of sharks in him and interacting more with Bende cut that down significantly and the sharks fully disappeared by the time he was 5 months old. Having said that I made sure that I carry on spending separate time with them too. We have had separate trainings, car rides etc and then we have also spent lots of time together as a gang, bonding and learning from each other. A trained dog is a great help with a puppy but equally it can not be up to the trained dog to teach the puppy everything.
If it wasn't for that breeding I probably would have waited another one or two years and it would have been just as good, Bende still has very high energy at 6.5 years now and honestly if it was up to him we would already have another puppy...
So no silver lining in the when is the right time, but I would certainly advocate to having a well trained and behaved one in the household before bringing in a new puppy.

Dog Green Dog breed Liver Carnivore

Dog Carnivore Fence Grass Plant

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh that bond 💕

Thank You, that’s really helpful! I think between one and two years in the future will be good for O to be more settled in his training but who knows how things will progress. They like to throw curveballs don’t they.

appreciate your time on it 😊
Bende was almost 2.5 when 9.5 weeks old Miksa came home. Bende is the high drive type, at the same time he is eager to learn and to please. Bende got a CGC certification at 10 month, he was shown as a puppy successfully, competed in dock diving from 1 year old and went thru a ton of classroom and some field training by the time Miksa came. So the combination of energy, his diverse trainings and reliable good behavior (i.e. no counter surfing, coming when called, tolerating being handled and generally listening to humans) just as his love for puppies gave the indication that he is ready for a little untrained red head challenge. At the beginning I limited their playtime to very short sessions as Bende being in his prime and Miksa wanting to compete with older brother made me worried about possible puppy injuries. So Bende figured that if he lays down on the floor / grass, Miksa can just wiggle and jump around him and their playtime will be less risky - then I started allowing longer playtimes. Miksa was a mouthy pup with plenty of sharks in him and interacting more with Bende cut that down significantly and the sharks fully disappeared by the time he was 5 months old. Having said that I made sure that I carry on spending separate time with them too. We have had separate trainings, car rides etc and then we have also spent lots of time together as a gang, bonding and learning from each other. A trained dog is a great help with a puppy but equally it can not be up to the trained dog to teach the puppy everything.
If it wasn't for that breeding I probably would have waited another one or two years and it would have been just as good, Bende still has very high energy at 6.5 years now and honestly if it was up to him we would already have another puppy...
So no silver lining in the when is the right time, but I would certainly advocate to having a well trained and behaved one in the household before bringing in a new puppy.

View attachment 104852

View attachment 104853

· Registered
13 Posts
We just got a second V 6 weeks ago. Our older gal is 9 years old. The breeder cautioned us against a new female with the older female, but we didn’t want a male for various reasons. The result is that the old gal Hannah doesn’t want much to do with the young one. She’ll growl at her when she comes close (if she is sitting with me) or if Hannah has food or a bone or a toy. My daughter’s V is also a girl and is almost a year old. The 6 month old and the year old pups get along just fine. But the older female wants nothing to do with the young girls. I think if it were me wanting a second V, I’d probably do it when the first is completely potty trained and otherwise we’ll socialized. I think sometime between one and two years old would be a good time. The older one will be mature enough that she won’t need the constant attention and young enough to enjoy a playmate. Our problem was that we lost our Boston Terrier in April, at only 9.5 years old, and hadn’t previously considered getting another V this soon because we didn’t feel up to having three dogs. But, when we lost him so young, he left a hole the size of a crater in our lives, and we wanted another pup to help us recover. We think our current young V will be our last V because we are aging, and probably won’t be able to handle the rigors of a new V pup in our mid 70s when this one goes. If you love the breed, keep them a little closer in age so they can play themselves and take some of the pressure off you.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We just got a second V 6 weeks ago. Our older gal is 9 years old. The breeder cautioned us against a new female with the older female, but we didn’t want a male for various reasons. The result is that the old gal Hannah doesn’t want much to do with the young one. She’ll growl at her when she comes close (if she is sitting with me) or if Hannah has food or a bone or a toy. My daughter’s V is also a girl and is almost a year old. The 6 month old and the year old pups get along just fine. But the older female wants nothing to do with the young girls. I think if it were me wanting a second V, I’d probably do it when the first is completely potty trained and otherwise we’ll socialized. I think sometime between one and two years old would be a good time. The older one will be mature enough that she won’t need the constant attention and young enough to enjoy a playmate. Our problem was that we lost our Boston Terrier in April, at only 9.5 years old, and hadn’t previously considered getting another V this soon because we didn’t feel up to having three dogs. But, when we lost him so young, he left a hole the size of a crater in our lives, and we wanted another pup to help us recover. We think our current young V will be our last V because we are aging, and probably won’t be able to handle the rigors of a new V pup in our mid 70s when this one goes. If you love the breed, keep them a little closer in age so they can play themselves and take some of the pressure off you.
Really sorry for your loss.

And thank you for your input 😊 I think my boy wouldn’t tolerate a pup if I left it longer than five years either as he already has only child tendencies so he’d have to be relatively young I think haha.

Wishing you all the best with your new baby and getting the two settled!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts