Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

Glucose in Urine and Thirst

674 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cynrunner 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I have a 7 1/2 month old Vizsla named Hank who has made my world so much brighter. A couple of weeks ago I noticed he was drinking a lot of water and was peeing a lot (although no accidents in the house). We decided to do a urinalysis with the vet and she called me back noting there was glucose in his urine. As any anxious dog parent, I’m worried that he could have kidney disease or diabetes. We’re going to do blood work early next week. Has anyone else had an experience like this with glucose in the urine? Could it be something benign? It’s hard for me to imagine something with the kidneys or diabetes because he’s so young and doesn’t present with any other symptoms.
Update: after a second urinalysis the vet said there was no glucose present and just to monitor him. He drinks a lot of water although from what I’ve researched it doesn’t appear to be an abnormal amount. We’re going to do another urinalysis next week and if needed, bloodwork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.