Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
My name is Ana. I'm currently a grad student and i'm getting ready to welcome my first Vizsla pup in just a few months! I've been waiting for this moment for just under three years and I couldn't be more excited, although I've never owned a Vizsla and I am starting to get nervous! I've done loads of research on the breed and I think i'm pretty well prepared, although I live alone and I'm genuinely scared of messing things up right off the bat.

I've been reading posts in this forum for over a year now trying to get an idea of what to expect and how to best prepare, and I was hoping to get some input.

• What kinds of things are an absolute must-have to purchase prior to bringing your puppy home?
  • What kinds of things need to be done to "puppy-proof" the home?
  • Are puppy classes generally a good idea? Or is home training a better idea?
  • How can I make sure to properly exercise the puppy when it's so cold outside during the winter? (I live in Minnesota)
Any and all advice is majorly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)
-Ana

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ana

• What kinds of things are an absolute must-have to purchase prior to bringing your puppy home?
    Leashes, small harness, small soft collars, beds, TOYS, some type of crate, or indoor kennel system, toe nail clippers, saline solution for contact lenses. Seat protectors for the car.
    Get everything that is important to you off the ground, and "up".
    Puppy classes are a good start. They add structure and hopefully socialization. Get references and recommendations for the trainers in your area. Some are very good, and some,,,,,
  • How can I make sure to properly exercise the puppy when it's so cold outside during the winter? (I live in Minnesota)
    You'll need to invest in some winter gear for your puppy. There are many good suppliers out there, but, they can be somewhat expensive and you will go through at least three sizes through the winter. I use coats by WeatherBeeta, but we don't get anything close to a Minnesota winter here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ana

Leashes, small harness, small soft collars, beds, TOYS, some type of crate, or indoor kennel system, toe nail clippers, saline solution for contact lenses. Seat protectors for the car.
    Get everything that is important to you off the ground, and "up".
    Puppy classes are a good start. They add structure and hopefully socialization. Get references and recommendations for the trainers in your area. Some are very good, and some,,,,,
    You'll need to invest in some winter gear for your puppy. There are many good suppliers out there, but, they can be somewhat expensive and you will go through at least three sizes through the winter. I use coats by WeatherBeeta, but we don't get anything close to a Minnesota winter here.
Thank you SO much! I really appreciate the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts