1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Someone is also teaching that young man. He's going to be a fine trainer in time.

That "toss" was classic.
He lined the puppy up, let him observe the bird, tossed it underhand to establish a sight line, to begin the puppy on blind retrieves someday, a very slight delay on the release/ fetch, and lots of praise on the retrieve.

Excellent technique video. ;)

·
Registered
794 Posts
I hear ya Mischa ;D Pumpkin gets bored fairly easily with plain ole fetch, but I'm reasonably sure a dead bird would be different. In the off-season, are dummies the best thing to use? We have used stuffed geese, ducks, and pheasants (toys), but that looses its appeal quickly too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gunnr said:
Someone is also teaching that young man. He's going to be a fine trainer in time.

That "toss" was classic.
He lined the puppy up, let him observe the bird, tossed it underhand to establish a sight line, to begin the puppy on blind retrieves someday, a very slight delay on the release/ fetch, and lots of praise on the retrieve.

Excellent technique video. ;)
His father is a breeder and that young lad was the bird planter for the tests that weekend.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Crazy Kian: Did y'all participate in the field test or go as observers? Thanks for posting the great video, even though it reiterated the work needed on P's retrieving skills ;D

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kellygh said:
Crazy Kian: Did y'all participate in the field test or go as observers? Thanks for posting the great video, even though it reiterated the work needed on P's retrieving skills ;D
Kian was there for a test.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very good.....he got his title of Field Dog Junior and so did Mischa ;D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Awesome! Congrats to u & Mischa!! Going to get Pumpkin in hunt tests. I finally downloaded the rules w/ hopes of not making an utter fool of myself when the time comes. Yay for yall ;D

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good for you.
You will have a blast, it's a lot of fun watching them do what they were bred for.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts