Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although he doesn't arrive till Saturday (Hopefully posting it up won't put the mocka on it), Astro, a 6 1/2 month old Vizsla is joining my GSP and part-time Vizsla here at che` Ozkar.

Astro comes from one of Australia's top breeders, with a list of Australian champions longer than your arm and brilliant health and temperament.

His current family have a 3 and a 5 year old and A combination of a boisterous high drive V puppy, with a mum who couldn't devote enough time to him, has made them see reason and put Astro up for rehoming. I got the email this morning and the deal is done.

Here is a little pic of him at 10 weeks. I will post up a more recent pic once i have one.

I am not sure if he will remain as Astro yet. I may consider something else. Joska, Miksa and Samuka are all ones I like. However, I am happy to hear any suggestions to names you may have.

Astro is 3rd from the left in the litter pic. Not sure which one he is in the pic with his mum??

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
good for astro? rehoming is good for dogs i just received a coonhound to go along with my vizslas.we had her for a month now.life is good and the bed is warm...

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
His current family have a 3 and a 5 year old and A combination of a boisterous high drive V puppy, with a mum who couldn't devote enough time to him, has made them see reason and put Astro up for rehoming. I got the email this morning and the deal is done.

http://redbirddog.blogspot.com/2010/07/purchasing-vizsla-so-it-doesnt-end-up.html

Ozkar,

Glad you were able to give Astro a home where he can thrive.

It takes a very dedicateed family to pull off the above conditions. The energy level and chaos of a family with two small children and a high-powered hunting dog would be out the roof!

He'll be a great dog for your pack.

RBD

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, night one has come and gone and Astro is fitting in really well.

I am impressed with the ability of the previous owners to rationalise the benefit to the dog before their own feelings and make the decision to give him up. Having him for 15 or 16 hours now I can tell you they must have been heartbroken. He is a real character. But, very very very high energy. More so than Ozkar ever was. Just a little more than Zsa Zsa. So he is a good fit here and I understand why the previous owners knew they couldn't provide what he needed in terms of exercise and stimulation.

We had two long walks yesterday, a 20 minute dog park experience, then home again where he met Ozkar who came over for a few hours. The three of them were brilliant together. When one wanted time out, there was always another to play with, so all of them took turns in sitting with my while the other two played and then they would swap.

Back to two today. Ozkar went home last night. We have a big weekend of activities. Several walks..in the rain as it is pissing it down here in Melbourne... car trips, short periods left alone in the back yard and repeat process. hopefully by the time the weekend is over, he will be well exercised, mentally stimulated, know I will come home again when left alone in the back yard and finally, won't be precious and pee on the rug rather than going out tonight onto the cold grass to pee!!!

Just about to gear up into the gum boots, waterproof pants and jacket and gloves and take them out walking and swimming.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Congratulations on your new family member! Astro is a handsome young fellow!! I'm so glad he has found his forever home... ;D

onenotenough: Congrats on adding a coonhound to your family. I have a soft spot for them, myself. Great dogs, they are!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's a little jet! He settled a little more today. Not quite as cyclonic as yesterday. This morning bushland walk was an eye opener for him. Sights, sounds, smells and textures he has never encountered previously.

His previous address was an inner city 1920's terrace house with a back yard the zise of a postage stamp and his only outings where the local city park.

Today, he saw all these new birds. He saw literally hundreds of Kangaroos. He ate Kangaroo poo. He pointed, stalked and then flushed some birds. He chased a rabbit in long dry grass, bouncing from tusssock to tussock trying to land on it. He missed :)

He had mostly off lead all walk long. His recall is fantastic and he does what he is asked and waits for my approval prior to doing anything. He remained within 20 feet of me the entire walk.

All positives so far.

It was pouring with rain the entire time, so I didn't take the digi camera. But here is something from the mobile phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had to dig this old thread back up..... it was interesting to read my first impressions on night one of Astro being Cyclonic and then the next post about him settling down. I guess after a few days, it perplexed me as to how they could have considered him too high in drive for them. he's still an energetic dog as dogs go, but on the Vizsla scale, he definitely sits in the more relaxed arena!!!

The real reason I dug this up was to determine exactly how old he is. I have all the paperwork in a box in storage, so couldn't refer to it, so thought this post would give me enough of a reference point.

And... the reason I wanted to see how old he is, is that for the last four days, Astro has become "A big boy now"!!! He's started to **** his leg when he pees god love him!!!! :) :) Ozkar from memory was doing it from about 12 months onwards. Astro is now 18 months old (Please stop growing Astro... your a big enough monster already). So it's good to see that he is growing up.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Glad to hear that Astro is making the "big boy moves" now! You know, Willie is about five, and although he lifts his leg most of the time, if he really has to pee badly, he still squats like a girl... LOL ;D ;D Maybe he is thinking "Well, this is gonna take a while."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts