Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I am new to this site and I need some help. I have a 5 month old male Vizsla and he is such a joy to have! I have some concerns though. I have had him for almost 3 months and he has had 2 ear infections so far and has had the worst gas!! I know the gas can be caused by his food but can his ear infections be caused by his food? I currently have him on Taste of the Wild Salmon but I want to change foods due to his gas and perhaps ear infections. I've heard Orijen is a very excellent brand but I was curious if there is something better out there and what can be causing his ear infections because I can tell another ear infection is about to flare up.
Thank you!

by the way, he sometimes gets hives on his lower back and how can I fatten him up a little? His ribs are poking out and I'm afraid people will think I am not feeding him!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can't say about the ear infections but we are feeding the girls Nature's Domain fro Costco. Their gas is almost non existent and their coats look great. It is the salmon meal and sweet potato variety.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Strider was on Orijen, but I could not stand being in the same room with him as his stink would almost KILL. I buy his dog food from a small mom/pop pet food store that only sells small company food (no Purina, iams etc.) They recommended I try Nature's Variety Instinct (grain free). I did and now I can live with Strider in the same house.
The owner also mentioned that she has heard of ear infections and links to certain foods. TotW is a good brand, I don't know if you could link that food to the infections though.

Good luck,
Tim

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ear infections are often caused by food or excess water. If he isn't getting them full of water change the food. He could be haveing a reaction to wheat or dairy. It could be the fish in his food but I doubt it. Do you give him cheese?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am currently trying to find a dry food that doesn't cause hideous gas in my V also. Just last week i tried Purine Pro Plan, which is meant to be good for dogs with sensitive stomachs and skin. Well after two feeds I had to rush my V to the vet because he had a massive reaction and he swelled up in hives all over his body! The vet said he was most likely allergic to salmon, which was the main ingredient.

I'm now trying Science diet which is chicken based and we seem to be having some success..

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don't know about Taste of the Wild but Orijen is really high in protein, which I believe in turn causes gas. I give Mischa plain organic yogurt to help her digestive system but I'm not sure it's working lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used IAMS with great results. Amber does get an occasional ear infection but her vet has decided it is more seasonal than anything else and treats it as it happens. If she gets into something she will occasionally get a little diarhea but most of the time she does really well on the IAMS.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Kian has just got over a very bad ear infection, he was on antibiotics drops for 10 days and we were constantly cleaning the goo out of his ear. The vet said he probably had some dirty water in there that caused it.
Make sure you clean his ears out after he has been out running around and getting dirty or if he's gone to polay in water. Try and clean his ears out once a week. You can find cleaning pads at any good pet store.
As for the gas, he has been on Orijen for a while now. The puppy formula fom when he was about 6 months old, then we switched him to adult at about 10 months of age.
If the gas gets too bad we mix in plain probiotic yogurt, it seems to help with it, sometimes. ::)
Remember, if you are going to switch your pup to a "better" kibble, mix it in with his usual stuff and transition him slowly or he will get some messed up bowels and have the runs everytime he goes poop until his body gets used to it.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts