Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Copper was the smallest male out of the litter and is now 15 weeks and when we first got him he used to take the food, hid and eat it (i know this was just habit for him) he finally got through that and started eating out of his bowl which was in the kitchen.

Then he stopped eating in there, so i moved it to the living room, which once again was fine but over the last few days he hasn't been eating unless i either sit there and have it on my hand or i tip it out on the floor.

He is on a dry food mix and i am trying to feed him twice a day (i do tend to leave it out cuz i feel bad if he doesn't eat when i want him to! i know i need to get out of that habit)

My dad who use to own a vizsla said i should give him 20 minutes and if he doesn't eat it then i should take it away, as he will eat it when he is hungry. Which is a fair point, but if he doesn't eat he eats everything in the garden and on walks (stones feathers leaves etc) i stop him as much as i can. I dont know if this is because he is hungry or just being a puppy.

It has been hot weather so i dont know if he is just too hot to eat.

I know he isn't ill as he is still drinking, playing, pooing and weeing.

I am in the process of changing his food to complete iams, could it be that he doesn't like the old and new mixed?

Should i be more controlled over his eating? i always feed him after me although he doesn't really eat it.

Could he of eaten something to upset his stomach?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

A

·
Registered
794 Posts
Vs can be very picky eaters! Many posts on this forum for you to search re: picky eaters, schedules, food quality etc. IMO, your father has good advice. If 20mins makes you uneasy, shoot for 30, and pull up the food. Unless your pup has a medical problem, he will not starve himself. It may be that he doesn't care for his current mix. For the $ you pay for Iams, there are some better choices. Either way, I would avoid hand feeding. You may be introducing a habit that's hard to break & not a great idea for various reasons. We have been through a couple of foods with our V, because she is picky. Some days she will not eat her meal all together. I pull up the food until the next feeding. We also have a dachshund who dreams of being able to get Pumpkin's food, so leaving it out is not an option. P also has a fondness for paper products. She would prefer to eat that ;D It is not unusual for Vs, especially young ones, to eat things that aren't food, so I wouldn't worry; however, you do have to watch out for harmful items. Stones, mulch, metal etc. are not good. You may have to spend time discouraging the nonetibles, but it is normal behavior. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts