Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this sight, and already I have learned so much great info!! One thing I still am uncertain about however, is food choice. I understand the difference between the different quality foods, and it seems as though most posters feed very high quality kibble to their pups (blue buffalo, orijen, etc.) Unfortunately, as much as I would love to be able to afford a premium food for my new vizsla puppy, tanner, I simply cannot afford it. Is Eukanuba really that bad of a choice for my puppy? It is the best I can afford at the moment. He just had his check up at the vet for second round of vaccinations, and he was deemed a very healthy puppy :) What do you all think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Vizsla Leia is 4 months old and was on Kirkland when we brought her home... she didnt really like it and I was told by the vet to switch... so I tried Orijen large puppy which she didnt really like either and since it was so expensive of course I was happy to try something else... next I tried blue buffalo chicken for puppies... once again, not a fan... so yesterday I went to the pawshop and spoke with the man there, Ive now switched to the all-life-stages by Canadae which she does like so far... he said she may just not be into the chicken based foods and the new bag is a mix of lamb fish chicken etc etc.

I dont know what your dog will like but I suggest buying small bags of premium food at first... I bought the 30 pound Orijen ($68), the 15 pound Blue Buffalo, and now I bought the smallest 5 pound Canadae until I figure out how shes going to do on it... Dog food for thought =)

superdogvblog.blogspot.com

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mischa said:
Make the choice for yourself.
Do bear in mind that a lower quality food requires a larger serving, so the difference in price is not as black and white as lbs/$.

A large bag of food lasts us well over a month and we feed 3 cups/day.
You make a great point, guess I haven't thought of it that way. My original thought was there are plenty worse foods I could be feeding him, but I also know there are better.

·
Registered
914 Posts
If Tanner is responding well to the food you are feeding now, I don't see a problem. My V. Sophie came home from the breeder with a big bag of Eukanuba. I noticed after a while that she was often scratching and licking her paws, as well as nibbling at her upper thighs. We switched to Orijen + some canned food, and she got much better within few weeks. She's still on Orijen - feeling and looking great. Good luck finding the right food for your V. boy :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice Suliko. He seems to like it and is growing like a weed. If I start to notice problems, I would definitely switch. Most important is that he is healthy and happy :)

·
Registered
914 Posts
P.S. Tanners_mama, if you were to consider a better quality food for a fair price, I have heard good things about "Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul". Maybe someone here has had experience with it and can share their experience :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
You can do research on your own (lots of threads re: food on this forum), and you can also use sites such as dogfoodanalysis and dogfoodadvisor for investigation. There are some foods of higher quality that are within $10 of a 20lb bag of Eukanuba. Some prices depend on the retailer; however, feeding quantity tends to lessen with better foods. If your dog is thriving, it is a hard choice, but if I could swing it, I would choose a different food. Natures balance is a good food in a similar price range. Go! Natural Grain Free is superior and within $10. Blue Buffalo & other manufacturers often offer coupons. Also, Pet Smart will tell you (at least ours does) when reps for certain brands will be at the store. The reps tend to love giving out coupons for their product.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I did try the Natures Balance, do any of you think that switching a puppy on a few different foods when so young can have an impact on their feeding habits later in life? It would be his 3rd different kind of food in a month.

Also, I didn't even think about the food reps in petsmart. Never cared about those coupons when I went before, now that I have this new little guy in my life... I'm all over the coupons.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If your puppy is doing fine on Eukanuba, leave him on it. Change when he gets older and you switch over to an adult food.
No, Eukanuba is not that bad of a dog food. 3 of the 5 V's I've had were started on Eukanuba puppy food, and seemed to suffer no ill effect later in life.
The two I have now are on Blue,and were were just switched over to it because they began to pick at their last food.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Pumpkin switched foods 4 times as a pup, and she is fine. Picky girl. I'm not advocating you switch if your pup is doing well. Just saying....We had plenty of dogs growing up who lived long lives on garbage food ie: low quality, because we didn't know any better. Your pup will not be harmed if you switch or wait. Natures's balance, Go! Natural, & some others are life stage foods, so another switch to adult food is not necessary. If you can afford it, I would switch at some point. That being said, our dachshund was on Eukanuba wild (venison for allergies) for almost 2 yrs. Her skin never looked so good, despite higher quality foods. It was recalled and has not been back to Petsmart. The food rep would give me 5-10 coupons for $10 off!! If it comes back, I will be a customer. For whatever reason, it works well for Moxie. Blue & Innova have also been putting coupons in Sunday papers. ($4-5). Some companies will also mail coupons if you request. Good luck & don't stress :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your insight :). We have a very picky Great Dane (Jane) at home, and truly think it is because her food got switched too often as a puppy. Hopefully this will not be the case with Tanner

My initial reasoning for getting on the eukanuba was 1) get him off the less than good food the breeder was feeding, and 2) I have a cpl friends with black labs, who's dogs love Eukanuba. Their coats are shiny and both have healthy records.

Then after reading through the nutrition and diet section of this forum, I started second guessing my decision.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New thing I have noticed over the past few days...

With the switch to the Eukanuba, Tanner poops within minutes of eating. I heard with puppies it's generally between 5-30 minutes, so I found it strange with the old food that it would literally take hours.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yep, normal.

New food will go through their system faster initially and may give them looser stools and gas. Give it a week or so.

The real truth in feeding a dog, is that you want the "garbage eater". You want the dog that will eat anything. It makes it so much easier on you throughout their life.
Having had an extremely picky eater for 14 years, it's a pain in the behind to get them on a food they like, and will eat consistently.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that makes me feel better. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones... Tanner eats (inhales) anything I put in front of him, and always seems as though he could eat 10x what I actually feed him. Little piggy I have!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Gunnr said:
The real truth in feeding a dog, is that you want the "garbage eater". You want the dog that will eat anything. It makes it so much easier on you throughout their life.
That is a double edged sword... ;D
I know you're talking about food, but our girl always gobbles up her food as well as any poop she finds while off leash. She was doing so well with "leave-it" but has had two cases of disgusting diarrhea/vomiting in the past three weeks.

I like that feeding her has always been so easy, and it's helped immensely with training, but her appetite will be the death of her!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sophie too used to inhale her food and would be done under 30 seconds. We got her a bowl similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Skid-Stop-Slow-Feed-Bowl/dp/B00251EPL2 and it slowed her down. Because the food was divided by sections, she couldn't get to all of it at once. We still use it, even though she is a slower eater now :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tanner's mama,

My previous dog, a Choc. Lab, loved Eukanuba and thrived on it his entire life.

My V Dax though is a picky eater. He came home from the breeder with Eukanuba, but he didn't seem to care that much for it. We tried several different foods and he is now eating Blue Buffalo.

PS to Suliko: The picture of Sophie in your avatar is simply beautiful, can you show us a larger version of it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts