Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

We are new vizsla owners and have an 8 week old girl. We are crate training her at night and we set the alarm twice a night to get up and let her pee, which seemed to work for the first few weeks. She is now starting to wail in the night to get us up and out, but even when we know she has emptied her bladder it seems like she just wants to play. We obviously don't want her thinking that it is ok to wine just to get a play, any tips to start to curb this behavior early so that it doesn't continue into adult hood?

·
Registered
989 Posts
You are saying she is 8 weeks old and she has been with you for weeks already? that sounds way too early, you are lucky that she has even managed at that young age with only 2 times a night getting up.
In my experience it is a myth that it creates unchangable bad habits to let them out at this young age when they give a vocal signal. If she cries, take her out to potty, signaling from your side that you had taken her vocal signal as a sign of i have to go potty, praise her afterwards and take her back straight to the crate, i mean carrying her. Very soon she will learn that the night time whimpering is only good for potty signal. Then you can start working on that during the day too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are saying she is 8 weeks old and she has been with you for weeks already? that sounds way too early, you are lucky that she has even managed at that young age with only 2 times a night getting up.
In my experience it is a myth that it creates unchangable bad habits to let them out at this young age when they give a vocal signal. If she cries, take her out to potty, signaling from your side that you had taken her vocal signal as a sign of i have to go potty, praise her afterwards and take her back straight to the crate, i mean carrying her. Very soon she will learn that the night time whimpering is only good for potty signal. Then you can start working on that during the day too.
So sorry for the confusion!!! We picked her up at 8 weeks and she is now just over 10 weeks old. Thank you for the tip, this is what we have been trying to do but it seems like she is testing us with constant howling for a late night game of fetch!! o_O

·
Registered
989 Posts
Glad to hear about the age clarification.
Keep going with consistency, she will learn that night time is not about fun. And lol for testing, wait until she does a shake or roll over when you just want her to stand still at an obedience trial 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear about the age clarification.
Keep going with consistency, she will learn that night time is not about fun. And lol for testing, wait until she does a shake or roll over when you just want her to stand still at an obedience trial 😂
Oh man, can't wait!!! My patience is developing faster than the little pup! :cautious:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts