Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our v will be a year on the 31st so ive been following this forum for almost 10 months. Finally joined last night. I'm concerned Dozer is only 40 pounds at a year old. His dad was 55 and Dozer himself was 12 lbs when we brought him home at 8 weeks. Is there still time for him to pack on the weight? He's healthy according to the vet, just small I guess.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
SteelCityDozer,

Is Dozer still intact? If so, he will continue to expand until about 18 months old. You can add muscle by long off-leash runs in the hills where he has to use those muscles.

Muscle weighs more than regular tissue.

Then you have to feed those muscles a hearty diet.

You can suppliment with "satin balls" to add weight.

Bailey, our 3-year-old male, is 60 to 62 pounds and is 24 inches tall but has very little fat. We do a lot of hill walking.

40 pounds is on the light side but some Vizslas are small.

Maybe you have a Cat D3 dozer and not a D8. 8)

Rod a.k.a. redbirddog

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hi, SteelCityDozer, and welcome!

Just as Rod said, extra exercise and extra protein = more muscle mass. Actually, I believe it works the same way in humans. ;D If you decide to increase Dozer's exercise routine, then you could also celebrate his first birthday by making him a batch of "Satin Balls"!

SATIN BALLS

3 pounds hamburger
3 cups oatmeal
1/3 box Total cereal
1/3 jar wheat germ
4 large eggs
1/3 cup safflower oil
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
3 packets of Knox gelatin

Mix together well and shape into meatballs. Freeze on a cookie sheet, then transfer into a Ziploc bag. Keep frozen until ready to use. Thaw briefly in microwave. Really skinny/small dogs get 3 - 4 per day in addition to their regular food. Dogs love them!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is still intact for at least the next month. I can try the satin balls. He's definately a picky eater and therein lies part of the problem. I'm working off leash training to run him in the field but he gets run next to my bike, around the yard or the dog park until then. I guess I'll give it six more months before thinking he's done growing but he's probably getting fixed soon.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
http://redbirddog.blogspot.com/2011/01/rethinking-spay-neuter-in-2011.html

"Loss of testosterone as a result of desexing may result in immature development of masculine characteristics and a reduced body musculature:

The testicles are responsible for producing testosterone: the hormone that makes male animals look and act like male animals. It is the testicles that make male animals develop the kinds of masculine, testosterone-dependent body characteristics normally attributed to an entire animal. These include: increased muscle size and development; reduced body fat; mature penis development; mature prepuce development (mature penis sheath development); the ability to extrude the penis from the sheath (prepuce) and the suppression of development of feminine characteristics (mammary gland development, milk production etc.). Desexing, particularly early age desexing, may limit the development of mature masculine features such that they remain immature and juvenile looking and cause the neutered animal to have a reduced muscle mass and strength compared to an entire animal of the same size and breeding."

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/male-dog-neutering.html

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts