Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this post would be helpful to new puppy owners...

We can finally trim my 16 week old pups nails ourselves with almost no drama!!

I am a new puppy owner myself and have a now 16 week old pup. He is very lovable but also exhibiting all the usual Vizsla puppy nipping and biting...occasionally bruises me in the process...while I'm working through that, my wife and I were not really sure how we would do his nails. He was so terrified ...we were sure to be bitten if we tried to do it at home, so we took him to the groomers a few times. We then decided to somehow learn to calm him down and figure out how to do it ourselves.

Basically we really spent a lot of time conditioning him to the dremel nail grinder...at first we just held a frozen banana with peanut butter in our hand, had him on our lap licking it and then held the dremel close to his paws without turning it on...after 2 days of doing this, we did the same but turned the dremel on, but still didn't start filing his nails. Then after 2 more days he was so used to this he didn't care when we touched his nail with it...we still didn't file it...just about touched it slightly...2 more days of this , he is now completely comfortable with us filing all his nails!!!

We still do it every 3-4 days so that he is really conditioned...so far so good. I never thought we would be at this point, but I was so excited about this and thought this may also help other new puppy owners like me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That's great news and great job with your patience in conditioning him. I wish we did the same with our now 3-year old male. He was great as a puppy, but he steadily grew anxious with nail trims. He had a really bad experience at a groomer around age one and has been unfortunately imprinted with trauma ever since. We now have to medicate him and have the Vet do it within 2-hours of medicating him. It's a big pain in the butt and very unfortunate that he has to deal with it.

Our 1-year old female V is a piece of cake. We took our time and never force it. But she is much mellower than our male V in a lot of ways too. We hope one day our male will be better with nail trims.

Thx for sharing and best of luck.

·
Registered
812 Posts
well done and definitely lots of patience / consideration from your side.

recently our groomer who has done Miksa`s nails in the last over 1.5 years decided to stay at home with her 3 kids to homeschool them due to covid. Miksa would go to the groomer`s place, jump up on the grooming table, no need for leashing him and done within couple of minutes, lots of tail wagging and happiness.
Bende gets the nails done on a lounge chair on the back patio by mom, he lays down, rolls when needed and we are done within 3-4 minutes. I thought since Miksa was hovering around and showed lots of interest, i could do the same... of course not, he freaked out and started panting, so i brought him inside, had him sit on my lap to calm down and explained to him how it will be ok to have long nails, just need to accept that Bende will outrun and out swim him as his nails are short now. Miksa jumped up, rushed to the guest bathroom, sat up on the toilet lid, where i usually clean his ears and just sat there. I brought in the dremel, and did his nails while he gave me paws, one after the other... well, combination of motivation (competing with Bende) and creatures of habits (sitting up high for grooming) i guess.
Always learning something new about my dogs.

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
That's great news and great job with your patience in conditioning him. I wish we did the same with our now 3-year old male. He was great as a puppy, but he steadily grew anxious with nail trims. He had a really bad experience at a groomer around age one and has been unfortunately imprinted with trauma ever since.
I would revisit it. We adopted Daisy when she was 5 & she had a pre-existing terror of nail trimming. She has been de-conditioned and her nails are easily trimmed now. De-conditioning is much harder than conditioning, but can usually be done - dogs are adaptable.

First - I would use a file or Dremel-style trimmer. Clippers put pressure on the nail which can be unpleasant in itself. Also it's much easier to go too far, hit the quick, and create real pain. Then it's "just" a matter of getting him to associate the trimmer/trimming with positive things - treats or play (bringing the trimmer closer & closer during play). As rchil43 did, it has to be gradual, but there's nothing complicated or difficult about it.

It does take patience, as you recognize, but he is worth it

·
Registered
46 Posts
we get our boy to lie down and put a treat on the paw we're not doing his nails on. we make him wait for the ok command for the treat and whilst he's focusing on that treat we clip his opposite foots nails. works great!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would revisit it. We adopted Daisy when she was 5 & she had a pre-existing terror of nail trimming. She has been de-conditioned and her nails are easily trimmed now. De-conditioning is much harder than conditioning, but can usually be done - dogs are adaptable.

First - I would use a file or Dremel-style trimmer. Clippers put pressure on the nail which can be unpleasant in itself. Also it's much easier to go too far, hit the quick, and create real pain. Then it's "just" a matter of getting him to associate the trimmer/trimming with positive things - treats or play (bringing the trimmer closer & closer during play). As rchil43 did, it has to be gradual, but there's nothing complicated or difficult about it.

It does take patience, as you recognize, but he is worth it
Thank you for the encouragement. I was able to trim three paws by myself the other day and then hit a wall with him. He resisted on the fourth paw. I waited a day and still no luck. On the third day I had my son hold him and got it done, but at least he didn;t go too crazy. I will continue to de-condition him because I really feel the Vet does a number on him with muzzles, etc which obviously only adds to the anxiety.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thank you for the encouragement. I was able to trim three paws by myself the other day and then hit a wall with him. He resisted on the fourth paw. I waited a day and still no luck. On the third day I had my son hold him and got it done, but at least he didn;t go too crazy. I will continue to de-condition him because I really feel the Vet does a number on him with muzzles, etc which obviously only adds to the anxiety.
definitely will need patience, but best for them to learn to accept this procedure without any external force. i know it sounds like stating the obvious, but stress is a killer. i would try and just do 2 nails per day for a while. rewarding big time, play session afterwards etc. then gradually increase to 3 nails and so on. the reason i am saying 2, is because it is better to do quick session per nail and move to the next one and then come back, that avoids the dremel by any chance overheating on the nail. also try and find a time slot when he is the most agreeable / calm otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
definitely will need patience, but best for them to learn to accept this procedure without any external force. i know it sounds like stating the obvious, but stress is a killer. i would try and just do 2 nails per day for a while. rewarding big time, play session afterwards etc. then gradually increase to 3 nails and so on. the reason i am saying 2, is because it is better to do quick session per nail and move to the next one and then come back, that avoids the dremel by any chance overheating on the nail. also try and find a time slot when he is the most agreeable / calm otherwise.
YES!! Do not force it.

And stay calm. If you get frustrated and impatient, he will sense it and react. If that's happening, just stop - nails can wait.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks so much for the sage advice and reenforcement. I do get impatient and need to be reminded to take it so. Fingers crossed.

Ty again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts