Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Puppy Arya is 8.5 weeks, we feed her 3 times a day; around 7-8 AM, noon and 4:30-5:30 PM. She is eating the kibble recommended by breeder, we give her 1/2 cup each time. She literally swallows it, no chewing at all. I recently started adding warm water to her kibble half an hour before feeding so she gets some softer food into her stomach. Are we feeding her enough? She seems to be always hungry and running around her bowls and place where we store her food, looking for something to eat. She is not very skinny, but seems to grow every day. What is the correct amount for 8-9-10 weeks old puppies?

·
Registered
940 Posts
there is no one size fits all, especially with pups. if she seems really hungry, try to add little more and if you don`t see upset stomach or sudden fat building then it should be fine. you can also do some hand feeding combined with short training sessions, using the kibble.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My puppy was the same way at that age. I upped his ration to 2 cups a day and increased it 1/4 cup every week. By the time he was 12 weeks he was getting 3 cups a day and I have kept him there for the last two weeks. He shows no sign of being overweight. Also, like your pup, he practicaly inhaled his food so I got him a "slow feeder" bowl.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
With Aly now being 10 wks old, living in Upstate NY in the winter and her loving to be outside (me, too!), I find her ALWAYS hungry! I pretty much feed her as much as she'll eat (a lot, out of my hand during training). I'm glad to see she's lost some of her ribbiness and filled out. She's not anywhere near overweight... but healthy as a horse.

All that said, every critter is different. Their metabolism, their environment and their activity level. My feeling is: when they are growing pups, it's better to error on a little over feeding! Ensure they have the protein they need!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts