Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 10 week old V has been nothing short of a joy. However, like so many other V owners, when the sharkies hit our patience can be tested. We have a plethora of toys to try to keep him entertained but he seems to get bored of them quickly. Probably his favorite thing to chew on thus far are sticks that he finds in the yard, but we get concerned that he’ll end up swallowing a big chunk. What are/were some of your favorite chew toys for your pup? Are there any appropriate edible bones for a 10 week old?
Dog Eye Wood Liver Carnivore

·
Registered
178 Posts
Our 10 week old V has been nothing short of a joy. However, like so many other V owners, when the sharkies hit our patience can be tested. We have a plethora of toys to try to keep him entertained but he seems to get bored of them quickly. Probably his favorite thing to chew on thus far are sticks that he finds in the yard, but we get concerned that he’ll end up swallowing a big chunk. What are/were some of your favorite chew toys for your pup? Are there any appropriate edible bones for a 10 week old?
For our boy Rafa his favourite chew as a puppy were tennis balls and then when a little larger the Kong classic Large chew with dog biscuits in, has been a daily favourite and unbelievably has

withstood both
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Liver

the sharkies and 4 years of chewing. No other chew toy has lasted longer than a few weeks at best.
Facial expression Balloon Happy Font Material property

·
Administrator
9,374 Posts
Bully sticks, chicken feet, and the smaller size beef kneecaps. Kneecaps crumble, they don’t splinter.
I do remove the kneecaps, and bully sticks from them, once they become small enough to be a choking hazard.
For toys during the sharky times. They work best if you interact with them. So gather up a few of the toys. You shake the toy and make it look fun and exciting. As soon as they drop that toy, do the same with the next one. If you think it’s possible your puppy is just overtired. Pick out a favorite treat, and crate your puppy with it.

Reactions: Nickyj and Gabica

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wish I had known how many bully sticks we would go through in a week, I would have bought stock in the company 😃 she is a super chewer. When she was younger though, an empty plastic water bottle in a thick sock was fun for a long time. Once the sock gets chewed just swap it out.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Old clothes, unwashed.
Get a ratty pair of jeans, cut off about 12-15 inches from the cuff up, stuff it with old socks and t- shirts.
Sew up both end and throw it on the floor next to them. It should end up about the same size they are.
Finn used to exhaust himself beating up that old pant leg. They had some epic fights!!😉

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wood root chews have been great for my dogs. I think they’re treated or picked in some way that the wood doesn’t splinter but they kinda just naw at them. When they’re old (they last a long time) in my experience they sort of crumble so you know when it’s time to throw out and buy a new one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Old clothes, unwashed.
Get a ratty pair of jeans, cut off about 12-15 inches from the cuff up, stuff it with old socks and t- shirts.
Sew up both end and throw it on the floor next to them. It should end up about the same size they are.
Finn used to exhaust himself beating up that old pant leg. They had some epic fights!!😉
Also I love this… I gave my boy some old jeans and they’re his pride and joy. Say to him “go get your jeans” and he’s like yesss play time. So funny. No point spending hundreds on expensive toys when he gets more joy out of trash 😂

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The old clothes worked great. He’d chew a hole in it, and then I would take it to the basement to run it through the sewing machine.He’d wait at the top of the stairs for me to finish, and be jazzed to get a “ new toy”.
He’s older now, and not so hard on his toys, and the Kong Wubba’s have lasted a long time. He has yet to destroy one.
He still has his toy box full of old pant legs, and still plays with them. The Wubba’s are his favorites though.
I think some Wubba’s would work well for a puppy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The old clothes worked great. He’d chew a hole in it, and then I would take it to the basement to run it through the sewing machine.He’d wait at the top of the stairs for me to finish, and be jazzed to get a “ new toy”.
He’s older now, and not so hard on his toys, and the Kong Wubba’s have lasted a long time. He has yet to destroy one.
He still has his toy box full of old pant legs, and still plays with them. The Wubba’s are his favorites though.
I think some Wubba’s would work well for a puppy.
Poppy (16 months) JUST destroyed her first Wubba that she got as a puppy. She had a ton of fun with it while it lasted though. She liked most of the Kong brand toys - particularly from the puppy line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I had known how many bully sticks we would go through in a week, I would have bought stock in the company 😃 she is a super chewer. When she was younger though, an empty plastic water bottle in a thick sock was fun for a long time. Once the sock gets chewed just swap it out.
I just tried the water bottle in a sock today and he loved it! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My god sounds just like our Gizmo (4 mos). He’d rather bite us or a gigantic stick than his 4 million toys. Gizmo goes through the ‘long lasting’ chews quickly and I’m afraid he’ll get sick. We bought extra kongs and are going to try those. View attachment 104748
Somebody previously mentioned trying an empty water bottle in an old tube sock, and he loved it more than any other toy we’ve bought. His other favorite one is the outward hound teaser wand.
Outward Hound Dog Agility Training Kit https://a.co/d/5TSoeRn

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congratulations on your V! We have two now and they too love sticks, they run in to the woods and such and bring them back to the patio lol. We have to train to take them back. We got these a year ago for them and they play / chew on them often and these bones last for our two, as other did not and others they lost interest. Take care!
Font Terrestrial plant Plant Soil Herb

·
Registered
10 Posts
This has been very helpful for ideas! Our 11wk Poppy destroys grown up chews in a matter of moments and treats her "puppy safe" chew toys with ambivalence (she will chew them when shoved into her back teeth as a barrier to my hand/face/arm/etc). So much mixed stuff online about what is safe for their puppy teeth, but I love the creative ideas with the jeans and water bottle etc. We got a coffeetree stick last night that the owners of her mom recommended that they were trying for the littermate they kept, and she seemed really thrilled with it. It looked more like it was peeling than splintering, so probably similar to the root mentioned above. We have also tried frozen carrots successfully, but they don't last as long as one would like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts