Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this for forum. We have a two year old vizsla (female) we have just had two babies and have been in hospital for the last few months. So she has been staying with family members and friends in that time she has put alot of weight on and hasnt had the exercise she previously had, i want to get her back on a good diet and exercise her daily again. I am after some advice on what i should feed her and how often. I am from Australia. Appreciate your support

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

I found this information online for you and it also gives guidance at the end about losing weight slowly.

https://dogfood.guru/what-is-the-best-dog-food-for-a-vizsla/

I am not too experienced with Vizslas so I hope some of the others here will reply to you also.

My dog is a male 18 months old and I feed him twice a day, he self regulates his food i.e. he won't eat it all just enough until he feels full.

His food consists of good quality AVA dry kibbles mixed with a tasty topper.

He is large build for a Vizsla, but you can just see his ribs when he is running about. He gets a lot of off leash exercise every day.

Hope this helps

Regards

Philip

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
exercise and a quality food/diet will get her back in shape.
We have to feed our 2 V's twice the recommended amount of food and still both are a little under weight.

They run off leash at least 5 miles a day normally 6-8. We are going to up the amount of food a little more..

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
Just ease back into what worked for her in the past.

Reactions: Gabica

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Keep the diet the same, cut back on the treats, reduce the meal portions just a little bit, and work in exercise. Don't do anything radical like humans do to themselves. Dogs don't do the South Beach, or Paleo diets. ;)
Hunting dogs tend to put on some weight in winter in the northern states of the US. Come spring, when they can get back out more, they tend to "run it off" by themselves. We use the cool of the mid to late summer mornings to get them ready for fall hunting season, so they don't over heat, or suffer heat stroke.

They're like any other athlete. It's amazing how fast they can get back into shape. Give her six weeks and she'll probably be right back to normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts