Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In discussion with my son and husband, we feel that my son would enjoy and be good at training a dog and competing in obedience or showing a dog. Is there such a thing as kids (he's 11yo) competing in dog sports/shows? What's the time commitment like? Is there a lot of travel involved? Is it easy to get into? Right now, I think it would look like once a week obedience class or agility class, practice at home every day and then go to competitions every now and then? I'm hoping it's not as intense as hockey or soccer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
in the US there is a whole system around junior handlers showing dogs, and i would think it is a lot of time commitment, training and travel to the shows as one venue usually hosts only once a year an event in rare cases twice. having said that i know several people who started as junior handlers and became professional handlers later on.
i see kids handling dogs in other dog sports as well, and honestly i wish i had an opportunity like that as a kid... time commitment wise i would think those will depend on what is available in your area, both for training and competitions.
it may make sense to sign up to some classes based on availability to see what is the closest to the temperament of your son and your dog. then you can see what type of competition is available in your area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts