Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm hoping to get some advice from anyone who can guide me in the right direction, or share some information!

My husband and I finally feel like we are at a point where we can bring in a second dog. I have begun my search for a Vizsla puppy after meeting a few Vizslas and becoming more familiar with the breed. However, I notice like most other breeds, the prices for puppies have gone up a lot since covid.

I appreciate why it's important to get a puppy from a responsible breeder, however I don't know what is considered a "fair" price for a puppy. Can anyone in the UK, preferably in the North East, share their experience with breeders, and the initial cost for your puppy? Also, if anyone can share any breeder recommendations, I would much appreciate it.

Many thanks.

· Registered
185 Posts
Hi, I was trying to find my Vizsla breeder from Lockerbie, but struggled as they may have no puppies at this time. However, I did find a site showing prices to compare for Vizsla puppies. They appear anywhere in the range of £850-£2000, our boy Rafa was £995 four years ago and the prices skyrocketed after Covid to around £3000 from some breeders and seem to have come down recently. ShieldSquare Captcha

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I was trying to find my Vizsla breeder from Lockerbie, but struggled as they may have no puppies at this time. However, I did find a site showing prices to compare for Vizsla puppies. They appear anywhere in the range of £850-£2000, our boy Rafa was £995 four years ago and the prices skyrocketed after Covid to around £3000 from some breeders and seem to have come down recently. ShieldSquare Captcha
Thank you, yes I agree that it seems to prices have at least dropped a bit since covid. I hope they continue to go down to pre-covid levels

· Registered
Ziva
122 Posts
We paid the lower end of what I stated, so they have dropped a good third since lockdown puppies (we were not going to get a lock down puppy!!)

But yea, I think it's safe to say your looking at thousands rather than hundreds I am afraid. You could always rescue one instead, then you'll probably get to skip the lions share of the biting! haha!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We paid the lower end of what I stated, so they have dropped a good third since lockdown puppies (we were not going to get a lock down puppy!!)

But yea, I think it's safe to say your looking at thousands rather than hundreds I am afraid. You could always rescue one instead, then you'll probably get to skip the lions share of the biting! haha!
That's true! Can't say I love everything about puppies haha. I did look into rescuing, and from what I found, it seems they don't have enough vizslas to meet the demand of people wanting ones to adopt, which pleasantly surprised me! I can't say this is true for all rescues, I could definitely look into it more.

My husband and I's first choice would probably be a puppy, as we currently have an adult dog who was a rescue. However, I wouldn't say no to a rescue if one caught my eye that I think would work well with our current situation.

As PhilipL mentioned, I do see some ads here and there for some around £1000 (which would be about where my budget sits at). I might just have to cross my fingers and hope one around that price is available early next year. It's interesting to see how the market changes over time.

· Registered
128 Posts
Our breeder in Lockerbie charged £1600 for Oscar, he’s 2 next month.
Other breeders were charging more but they didn’t want to inflate prices and take advantage.
Saw some silly prices up to £4500!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Other breeders were charging more but they didn’t want to inflate prices and take advantage.
Wow I'm really surprised at £4500. I don't know many people who could or would be able to afford that much for a puppy, considering the other costs that come with getting one.

· Registered
185 Posts
Wonder Mrs M if your breeder from Lockerbie is Steven, from near the wood mill? Your Oscar looks very similar to my Rafa, whose Vizsla Dad is Zala Dog Plant Carnivore Liver Tree

· Registered
Ziva
122 Posts
...would hope other breeders prices would drop now to around the £1000 mark
Can't see prices dropping at present with prices rising for everything else and the tories doing their best to keep it that way (sorry to get political, im a swing voter but the "mini" budget was crazy).

Prices will increase and the supply of puppies will decrease, or worse, move to puppy farms. The RSPCA do their best but for every one they shut down another 2 pop up. Then there is the fashion of adopting from abroad happening atm. Distemper has been receorded for the first time in decades in recent years due to this.

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
I agree with @DrogoNevets, I don’t see the prices coming down.
The cost of everything to raise, train, campaign, and vet/prescriptions dogs has risen in price.
Dog food that was $50 per bag is almost $90. Vetting prices have went up, although not as much as the food, but it will likely happen. The fuel, and hotel prices have increased to be able to campaign a dog.
Training cost have also increased.
Just hoping everything levels off, and the bottom does not fall out of the world economy. If that happens, I have no idea what the price of a well bred vizsla will be. Or if a lot of the good breeders, would pause/halt their breeding programs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts