Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 11 week old puppy and some days we're having problems with excessive biting and weeing for an hour or more at a time. It's happened today after we put her in her crate (which we do every night and for short periods in the day) and she started barking and howling so obviously we left her in there until she was quiet (we were around so she wasn't on her own entirely). Once we let her out she was weeing about every 10 mins and jumps and bites at us (both adults) and the only way we can stop her is to stand the other side of the baby gate we have on the kitchen door. We say no and give her toys to chew but when she's in that frame of mind we can't seem to stop her. Is this just behavior we need to tolerate at the moment and persist with our training or is there anything anyone can suggest to do at these times?
Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh man - 11 weeks. what a great time!

Its just a puppy bein' a puppy. There are all kinds of techniques / training on the forum you can search out to see what others did at this stage. the kennel process you listed is a good one, but make sure that you take outside right after letting her out of the kennel. If she needs to go more, thats ok - he's only 11 weeks so when the urge comes -it just comes. for biting/nipping we always "redirect". Meaning at this stage saying no and being able to really correct a puppy just isn't an option -they are just learing how to learn - they're reading body language more than anything / feeling things out with their new mouths and paws (the firm correction kind of comes later imho at around 4 mo or when their brains can process a firm correction like "NO"). You just take your hands away, ignore, and give other things to bite and nibble and chew. Re-directing. Standing like a statue works fairly well - take the nipping until it stops and then a few pets - not excited good boys / girls. Just a calm pet after the craziness subsides. Right after kennel time is a very high energy time for a pup - you just gotta take em outside and let em run throw something, do very light sit/down/off training etc. Redirect. I do use my body a lot with a puppy - like a soft slow push with the back of my hand "this toy is mine until i want you to have it" or a slow steady walk into the jumpy puppy until they get the picture "huh, when i jump like crazy they just kinda roll me over and nothing happens - this isnt fun at all" Never to hurt and never really quick motions that are sharp and negative. Posturing is the best way i can describe it. If you watch mom dogs you can see how they do this to avoid their jumpy puppies. Anyway - im sure you have a load of training material and a lot if it will recommend different techniques. trick is to find the one that works for you guys.

There are definate periods of excitibility during growth periods too -which is where you're at now. I can tell with our girl that when she's growing she just has zero control over all the hormones and she goes nuts. A few weeks later I'll notice she put on 5 lbs and is two inches taller.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Only 11 week old they have a free pass until 16 weeks- can do anything as long as it's not endangering their life. Exploring the world around them by biting. Crating is OK but better to play find the treats (kibble) then crate. Don't forget they need to pee after play, during play, after they wake up, and after they eat.

P.S. You will laugh at this once the puppy is older.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow! That sounds so familiar! I'm sure other members can give you great training ideas, so I guess I'm posting to comfort you, and say that we were there just 8 weeks ago and things get better! My Charlie is still a handful, but its amazing how much he has learned and how much he has become part of our family. Don't worry, one day these puppy stories will be great fun to look back on...a few tough months (or years!) and a life time of memories! Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts, you've made us feel a lot better and it's great to hear from people who've dealt with the same things. We're prepared for a challenge with such an intelligent breed and we love how she's developing and settling into life with us. Thanks for your help :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts