Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use horse fly spray on their V? The horse & deer flies, especially deer, are horrible this year! It's particularly bad on our morning outing with little breeze. I know Atlast & Manna Pro specifically mention being safe for dogs; however, I wanted to try a Pyrethrin/permethrin based one such as Bugblock. Those chemicals are most effective against biting flies; however, I am sensitive to using chemicals if it's not necessary. The aformentioned ones are used in many flea/tick treatments, and my understanding is very young pups & cats are the most sensitive. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would not use any chemical for "off lable" treatment on my dog. There is a reason that some mention that they are SAFE for dogs.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've used "Bite Free", by Farnham On the girls.
After I spray myself with it, I spray it in on old T-Shirt, and wipe them with it. I don't do it everyday, just days that I know we'll be in the forrest.
It's also the same, and only spray, we use with the horses that actually works. Keeps ticks off the horses too.

I forget which company has the spray with marigolds on the bottle, but it's supposed to be "natural". It doesn't work very long on a horse, but it may be okay for a dog.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Gunnr. I am familiar with Bite Free, but I have not tried it. Appreciate the suggestion :)

DixiesMom: The reason Atlast & Manna Pro mention being safe for dogs is, because they are not marketed as as an exclusive Equine product. Pyrethrin & Permethrin are not "off-label" chemicals. They are routinely used in dog repellent products (flea, tick, mosquito) as well as, human products (lice shampoo). Kind of like deet is used in some "dog" bug spray products, but it's also used in Off/Skin-so-Soft etc. despite not being labeled a dog product. I was interested in the Equine products, because they can be quite cost effective & diluted.

All insect products should be used with caution & sparingly. Thank you both for the feedback.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The new K9 Advantix II claims to repel flys. I have not tryed it yet but plan to once we have used up the old stuff.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, Bernie. Let us know what you think. I did not know Advantix covered flies. They are nasty little insects that drive me nuts! In the mean time, I'm gonna try the Bite Free for the occasional use. It does contain pyrethrin & permethrin. Gets great reviews from all the site retailers I visited. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts