Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, me again (please dont get bored of me!)
Things are going reasonablly well at present with little Ziva, I am pleased to report.

We have been told off by our trainer for interaction too much with her (ooops - apperently she was seeing us as toys) and have started using the kitchen instead of the crate during the day.

We do still want to interact with her, and when she is calm she is a joy to do so with.

So my question is this, what can I give to Ziva to keep her occupied on the sofa that IS NOT food related. I can give her a pizzle stick and she'll occupy her self for an hour. But I dont want to just always be giving her food. Or at 13 weeks is this ok? She has plenty of toys, but isnt massively interested in them or play when we are around (probably our fault - any tips to correct this?).

Drogo

·
Registered
Ellie
583 Posts
I'm not sure if you are using a crate, but we enforced two 2 hour crate "nap" times per day. This helped reinforce to Ellie to the concept of the crate, help her learn self-settle, and give us much needed downtime to get stuff done. Otherwise at 13 weeks, when Ellie was out it was a nonstop Ellie-fest of crazyness. You may find not until 5-6 months of age will Ziva start playing with herself and having any meaningful self-settle around the house. This was our experience with Ellie. The only other option would be to get her nice and tired out with some activities outdoors like fetch, chase, playing with other pups, etc. Then you will get a round of zoomies in the house, followed by the recharge crash.

As for keeping her occupied while awake at this age most likely means interacting with you unless its a chew as you learned.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is reassuring to hear! thank you!
Since leaving her in the kitchen she has finally started using her bed (instead of crate) though we dont know if she actually sleeps or just rests in it. We have banned ourselves using a camera in there for at least a week - we'll just torture ourselves worrying about her/our kitchen so for now ignorance is bliss (ish).
We are happy to go in/out of kitchen but just moving around wakes her and she is alert so no idea whats happening in there at other times.

We use crate to ensure sleep (there is a camera in the crate) which is working, but ideally we would love her to settle down on the sofa with us whilst we watch tv.

She goes for a couple of short walks a day and a single long line, we stay mostly static she can wonder where she likes, type thing (this is tied into our increasing journeys to get over travel sickness too) which knackers her as we try new fields every couple of days, so new sights, sounds and of course smells

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure if you are using a crate, but we enforced two 2 hour crate "nap" times per day. This helped reinforce to Ellie to the concept of the crate, help her learn self-settle, and give us much needed downtime to get stuff done. Otherwise at 13 weeks, when Ellie was out it was a nonstop Ellie-fest of crazyness. You may find not until 5-6 months of age will Ziva start playing with herself and having any meaningful self-settle around the house. This was our experience with Ellie. The only other option would be to get her nice and tired out with some activities outdoors like fetch, chase, playing with other pups, etc. Then you will get a round of zoomies in the house, followed by the recharge crash.

As for keeping her occupied while awake at this age most likely means interacting with you unless its a chew as you learned.
It's always the zoomies in the house!! My friends with non-vizslas just do NOT understand this. :)

This sounds very similar to my experience with Poppy (now 1.5 yrs). It just takes time. Poppy stayed in her crate when we weren't interacting (playing, training, walking) for the first 6 months of her life. I know these first several weeks feel very slow, but if you can enforce down time in the crate when you're not interacting, I think it will go a long way. Poppy wasn't super interested in toys when she was younger, but I put a few in her crate and if she didn't want to sleep or look out of the window, her options were limited. It does get easier. For example, she's snoozing contentedly now in my office after a 1.5 hour walk this morning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like you are making good progress. Have you tried Yak chews yet? We have found they last much longer than animal-part based chews. Viktor still will grab one when he needs to chew something. We also found they are one of the few chews that doesn’t upset his tummy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you are making good progress. Have you tried Yak chews yet? We have found they last much longer than animal-part based chews. Viktor still will grab one when he needs to chew something. We also found they are one of the few chews that doesn’t upset his tummy.
We have she doesn’t seem to keen at present but the one we have is a touch too big for her mouth atm.

Was just checking really it’s ok to shove food down their throats all the time really? That and how to cope when witching hour starts - our current coping mechanism is to shut her in the kitchen and reduce interaction with us

·
Administrator
9,374 Posts
The main thing is she is just not old enough to lay calmly next you on the sofa. At this age she needs something that occupies her. What your wanting comes with maturity, and training.
You can only do appropriate age training. You start small/easy and build on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts