Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Ellie
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago it was a torn toe pad grounding her for some days. This week had her in the woods and it was deer chasing fun times. She came back as always and we continued. Towards the end I noticed blood dripping down from both of her front legs. They were torn up at the same level on each side. I could only suspect she had a fight with barbwire at full speed. Even some minor scratches on the back legs.

I washed the wounds, none were super deep besides one that did take a chunk a few mm deep. I then treated with EMT spray and put her donut of shame on her neck. She started not feeling well as the pain finally started to come through the adrenaline rush of the day's run. The injuries started looking angry with swelling. I decided she needed some more serious wound care with bandaging and proceeded to re-wash the wounds with povidone iodine solution, applied ichthammol thick, and wrapped her up with gauze pad, stretch gauze, and stretch wrap. I also put her on cefpodoxime which is great for skin injuries to take care of things from the inside-out as the injuries were close to her joints and I didn't want to take any chances. This was in the evening and we were prepared to take her to the vet in the morning if things weren't going in the right direction.

We had her bandaged for two days changing them maybe three times total. The wounds stopped weeping after the first change.

Two days later today she's doing great and the wounds sealed up. I removed her bandages and doughnut of shame for the final phase of healing. It is darn amazing how quickly these dogs heal. If it was a human this would have been a week or more of healing time to accomplish I'm sure. She's back to herself and is no longer pouting and giving us the evil eye regarding the head doughnut mandate.

Gratuitous pouty doghnut photo..
Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
I swear some of them are accident magnets. Shine has had both stitches, and staples from running through barbwire. Some dogs become barbwire educated, and some will slam it every time.
Fingers crossed Ellie is one that learned from her experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dan_A

· Registered
Ziva
122 Posts
Ouch, i get barbed wire works with livestock etc and can see the need, but it is brutal!

Im just so glad, in the UK at least, only the government are allowed to use Razor wire on prisons and military installations.

Well done treating it. Do you have any particular training etc? or just experience?

· Registered
1,343 Posts
Thanks for sharing the treatment plan details, very useful. Glad she healed quickly. And I agree I wish us humans had that healing power these guys seem to do.
and I am glad you did not mess ups her gorgeous looks and gave her matching color doughnut and bandage :ROFLMAO::love:

· Registered
Ellie
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The barbwire we are dealing with here is derelict stuff , probably 70+ years old. Much of it has been removed, but some areas it still does its damage. I carry cutters with me and try to clean up areas I find if its just a few strands. It is very annoying how humans leave their mess behind.

As for her treatment, I don't have any training , but do like to educate myself and learn from experience. I tend to have a streak of enjoying to have a bit of self-reliance knowledge and capability when it comes to these things. I am also fascinated with older remedies and medical know-how that has been lost with time not because they weren't effective, but more to do with the mighty dollar $$$. Ichthammol and Gentian Violet are two remedies that everyone should have on hand. The only reason big companies aren't advertising or doing more research on them is because they can no longer be patented.

Ellie is doing great and played with her doodle friend down the street today. Of course roughhousing and came home with a new scratch down her back. This one looks like it will take care of itself.

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Last Spring my husband and I cleaned out barbwire from a old fence. That stuff is such a pain. It’s rusty and breaks when your trying to roll in up, to carry it out. I think the trailer size was 5x8, and we filled over half of it.
The barbwire I hate the most is gaucho. Some of the ranchers use it to repair fences. It’s a thinner wire, with longer barbs. Harder for a running dog to see, and slices deeper.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dan_A
1 - 9 of 9 Posts