Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone see a problem with soft scrambling an egg into our 4mth olds kibble in the morning?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone see a problem with soft scrambling an egg into our 4mth olds kibble in the morning?
I/We don't see any problems with the Scrambled Eggs, but Piper won't eat it if there is Kibble mixed in, it MUST be either Spinach, Cottage Cheese or just plain Scrambled Eggs!:sneaky:

·
Registered
271 Posts
We have backyard chickens and feed our two V's scrambled eggs incorporated into their kibble on a regular basis.

With that said, we were told to never feed a dog raw uncooked eggs FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
We have backyard chickens and feed our two V's scrambled eggs incorporated into their kibble on a regular basis.

With that said, we were told to never feed a dog raw uncooked eggs FWIW.
The problem with feeding raw eggs is that they can be contaminated with salmonella. However, according to an article at the NIH*, only about 1 in 20,000 eggs are so contaminated. That's a small enough risk that I give our dogs raw eggs, YMMV.

Whether backyard chickens are more or less likely to be contaminated - I dunno.

* - Estimating the annual fraction of eggs contaminated with Salmonella enteritidis in the United States - PubMed

·
Registered
884 Posts
Salmonella usually is a small risk only for dogs as their strong stomach acids are practically blocking the bacteria before it can attack their systems. So a healthy dog should not get sick from that bacteria hence raw feeders usually are not concerned about it. Nevertheless dogs can be still carriers, and their feces can infect other animals if in contact, including dogs with compromised immune system.

The bigger challenge with feeding raw eggs regularly in my understanding is that it can cause biotin imbalance. But then again just as so many others this is a controversial topic as some claim that as long as you feed them as a whole (including the yolk) that risk gets decreased to a minimum. The egg white has the biotin inhibitor, called Avidin. On the other hand the egg yolk is high on biotin itself, balancing out the white`s blocking activity.

I feed my dogs 1-2 times a week eggs. If i know that i have just received from a friend a farm fresh one, i am ok with feeding it raw. If i had it from the farmers`s market or in rare cases from the store i cook it. In all honesty it is another great way to hand-feed and bond, when my dogs hear me peeling the boiled eggs, they all line up in the kitchen and are waiting for their handout:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts