Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 5mos old Mo is like a vacuum cleaner on his walks, anything and everything goes in his mouth. We usually try to exchange for a treat and have been trying to teach 'Drop it'. But, he is not getting it and will often growl at myself and the kids if we attempt to go near his mouth. I'm worried that he will swallow something dangerous or that it will get lodged. Also, not loving the fact that he is growling at us? Any tips would be welcomed. I have searched resource guarding on here as well. We were in puppy classes until they were cancelled due to lockdown (We are in Ontario). But I may be able to have the trainers come to the house in our backyard to help teach him to "drop it".

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Keep working on the drop it command at home with high value treats. Throw a safe object on the ground which you do not want to be picked up, like your sock. Puppy most probably will pick it up. Flash up the high value treat (best to do these before feeding time or if puppy is more toy driven, use toys instead of treats), pup most probably will drop the sock and be interested more in the high value item instead. Lavishly praise and give him quickly the treat / toy. Keep repeating, once you see that the puppy starts looking at you for the higher value item, you can mark the command and start using drop it. Do it several times a day in different parts of the house, then in backyard, then in a park, on walks etc. You can even bring a stick into the house and practice with that. Have one person working with the puppy and the rest either sit a little further away or not even be there, so that there is no pressure for the pup to compete with anyone for either of the items. Also bring some fun toys with you for your walks, surprise you pup with those and throw them for retrieve. It is important that 1. puppies do not generalize the commands they have learned, you need to practice in various set ups, adding more and more distractions. 2. you need to figure your pup`s value system and make it work for the trainings benefit, some would work for a piece of carrot, some only for string cheese in high distraction environment.
For the resource guarding, lots of hand feeding is recommended, where you reward the puppy for good behavior (make him work for his food instead of just automatically have it because it is feeding time). And when you feed your puppy and put his bowl into his crate, make him sit. If you have already taught the wait command, you can use that too. Then point at the bowl and say free to eat (or whatever release command you are using). Same thing with toys. Don`t have at this point the toys available for him, have control over them and make him work for getting a toy.
You will find quickly that these guys love to work and enjoy working for food or toys incredibly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Our Ellie loved eating mulch, and our entire yard is full of it. We tried various methods to break this habit such as trading for other higher value things. Nothing was working. It was basically torture constantly policing her in the yard on a lead. Similar on walks, was a vacuum of anything dangerous. At least we were able to pull stuff from her mouth. Sounds like you have it even worse.

What finally did work for us was a spray bottle and the sound "Ehe!" that we use for expressing that her behavior is bad and to stop. Catch her in the act of putting mulch or other bad things in her mouth , spritz to the face and "Ehe!". I would never suggest this with a very young pup, but at 5 mos, I see no reason why it wouldn't hurt to try. I'm no pro, I was given this advice from a good trainer in my state after first trying my local trainer we used for puppy classes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts