Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just welcomed a new V into my life at 8 weeks on Monday.

I'm curious when your Vs started taking to obedience training. After a couple days he's started to pick up sit, but his attention span is very short (as expected at this young age).

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Congratulations and he is a handsome looking little guy!
Obedience training starts the moment they come home. It's mostly fun and games with all positive reward, but there is no reason not to start off. Nothing harsh, or overbearing. A lot of basic work can be introduced in a hallway, or living room. Beginning to establish the retrieve should start right away.
You're expectations have to be very minimal though. One or two correct steps on a leash, a few times per day is success.
Make everything a game, with lots of animation and positive encouragement and make sure he is set up to have success and win.
His adult brain will start to develop weeks 12-14, but up to that point, expect to repeat your self a zillion times, and just have fun chasing him around.;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I appreciate the context.

I think I'm expecting too much of him, settling in and enjoying less structured time would be better for him. Retrieval work comes really naturally to him, no amount of fetch bores him right now. Leash work has also been going well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yeah, just take it slow. You both have lots of time.
Vizlsas get their size and speed fairly quickly, but their maturity is a little behind. This can make for some entertaining, and not so entertaining, sessions. You won't be able to catch him in a few weeks. I promise. ;)
Introduce him to as many things as you can. Put him in a vest and harness now, and will make it much easier to do later.
If you intend to hunt with him, get some quail, or pheasant wings and hide them around the house and let his instincts start to come out. If you have the space get a few quail, put them in poultry carriers and hide them in the yard. Just let him have a go. He can't hurt them in the poultry carriers.
Very gently, and SLOWLY introduce him to water.
Just have fun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts