Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Miniature features, were everything is in proportion, or dwarfism where there are deviations in the structure sizes?

I've seen some very small Vizslas but can not recall a dwarfism in any.

Welcome to the HVF. Vizslabirdhunter. I like the name you took. You are now VBH! ;D

RBD

·
Administrator
8,095 Posts
I have never seen one, but we did have a forum member that owned one. I don't think he has posted in a couple of years. He was a member of the Trinity Valley Vizsla club.
I can't think of his name at the moment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a V in our neighborhood, Lady Jane, whose owner tells me she is a dwarf. She looks quite like Hannah in the previous post

·
Registered
781 Posts
Dumb question alert (and slightly off topic)!

If one were to breed two dwarf vizslas could this then become the beginning of a "miniature vizsla?"

I've never heard of dwarfism within a dog breed but I also haven't ever had a reason to look into it. Now I'm highly intrigued.

·
Administrator
8,095 Posts
I doubt a responsible person would want to breed a dog with dwarfism, it just takes one parent to pass it on. They are more prone to arthritis at a earlier age. In people the life expectance is shorter, I don't know if its the same in dogs.

·
Registered
781 Posts
No responsible breeder would breed two together I would assume, however, there are a number of brainiacs out there who don't care about the breed but about the buck. I guess my question was more so if this is how "miniature" breeds are created? I'll do some looking into it tomorrow to not sidetrack the thread. I play with numbers daily and did terrible in science so genetics and breeding aren't exactly my forte. To the interweb I go for answers...

·
Registered
235 Posts
This just came in though Vizsla Talk list

There are two types of dwarfism, proportionate and non-proportionate, that have been bred for in dogs. The vet said this dog did not have genetic dwarfism because it was not selected for in the dog nor is dwarfism known in the breed. This is often referred to as an “unnatural” occurrence. There is a form of chondrodysplasia in Weims caused by a defect to the pituitary gland that is considered a genetic developmental abnormality and may occur in GSPs. I’ve seen this in GSDs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts