Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would welcome recommendations for a durable/waterproof vest for our 2 beasts.

In the summer we run them with just a chest protector.
During hunting season and winter they have an orange vest so hunters do not mistake them for very fast deer.

We have been using Hurtta polar vests and like them although they get torn up quickly where we run. They also have been discontinued and my wife is not real excited about the replacement.

Suggestion welcomed.

Regards

Where we run them during hunting season is a no hunting area, but they have pointed 2 different hunters in tree stands already..

·
Administrator
8,958 Posts
If your wanting tough, maybe look at some of the hog dog cut vests, or even the turtle skin vests. Neither is it going to be cheap, but should hold up very well.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I use the WeatherBeeta brand coat. It's pretty tough, and Finn is tough on it, but it doesn't come waterproof.
To waterproof i, I coat it in NikWax Rug Proof, and let it dry, and then spray it with a couple coats of Atsko silicone spray from Walmart. It's in the camping section for waterproofing tents.
The silicone spray alone would probably do it, but I just throw the dogs coat in with the horse blankets, and treat it is as if it is a very, very, small horse blanket. ;)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
i have an orange and yellow from this, in order to be able to distinct my boys from the distance. not sure about durability, have had them for years, but in Texas there is limited need for them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, checking all .
The hog dog vest looks promising,
My wife can sew in a liner for warmth.

We need tough/durable as both of ours has had a trip to emergency for torn skin and a puncture (bad) for stitches/surgery.

Next we are looking at goggles for them. We have had a few close calls . I dread having an eye poked out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts