Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
My goodness - 160 lbs! This is the strategy I use with Coco at the vet .... after her foot surgery. Sure and steady - slow- but progress every time. Im sure that I will walking easy peasy one day :).

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thanks, datacan! Just finished watching the episode with the Vizsla. Poor Rooby, so glad she got help!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It was great to see the v finally letting loose and enjoying the pool. You could also see how the family had lost control of Ruby and allowed that behaviour to become almost the norm.

Breed dependant, his domination methods work well. However, I never use them on my V's or my pointer. I find a more positive and encouraging approach works better.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tapping the back leg to get attention from the dog didn't work for Sam at all. I thought it was Caesar's signature move.

But, I have to hand it to Caesar, he has excellent points as well... I like the fact that he is not afraid to show his human side:
By the same YoU TuBe poster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztA60S5oyVk

I can also see how the whole community of animal behaviorists would gang up on him... lost revenues. If it was up to some dog behavior experts no one would be able to even look at a dog without first consulting with them.

Very similar to what teachers face in schools these days; not allowed to offer criticism to students, even smiling at students can be misinterpreted. I have a friend who teaches math at elementary level and she feels more like a teaching robot than a human being.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I still have not seen the episode with the Vizsla yet. But I really like Caesar, I like a lot of his techniques. Would have to admit for a couple years I thought he was just one of these made for T.V. people but he really knows his stuff.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I LOVE this show! Watch it everyday! I learn so much. It has helped me not only be a stronger leader to my dog...but in my own skin! I truly believe a persons energy and presence means SO MUCH! So thankful for this show! Thanks for posting the links, datacan!!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Re: Re: Dog Whisperer full episondes

GarysApollo said:
I still have not seen the episode with the Vizsla yet. But I really like Caesar, I like a lot of his techniques. Would have to admit for a couple years I thought he was just one of these made for T.V. people but he really knows his stuff.
I would be very selective with which of his techniques you use. Some will literally shut a Vizsla down........

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yrs Ozkar, we actually do our own thing with our boys. I train them the way I want them to be. I believe that is what every one should do, there is no one training method that works. But at the same time i think the whole energy thing he preaches does work.

By the way sounds like you and your V's had a nice outing yesterday! Unfortunately deer season here in Maryland U.S.A is a little hard to take a Vizsla out in. I DON'T trust other people around here not to mistake my dog for a deer, and no one sticks to a peice ofb land their aloud to hunt on. **** DNR does not care.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just curious - what techniques does Cesar use that would be detrimental to V's? I've watched a few episodes and am reading his book currently. I tried the "leader of the pack" walking technique today where I gave a short tug on his leash when he tried to get ahead of me, then I stopped if that didn't work. Our walk went much better than usual.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm not getting into a Cesar debate but my understanding is that his theories on dominance which underpin a lot of his philosophy are not widely supported.

E.g. If a dog goes into the house before you is because they want to get in the house not because they think they are better than you!

As with anybody else's opinion - you pay your penny and take your choice.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Re: Re: Dog Whisperer full episondes

kiki said:
Just curious - what techniques does Cesar use that would be detrimental to V's? I've watched a few episodes and am reading his book currently. I tried the "leader of the pack" walking technique today where I gave a short tug on his leash when he tried to get ahead of me, then I stopped if that didn't work. Our walk went much better than usual.
CM has some great stuff, however some of his techniques are too harsh and too physical to use on a Vizsla. Watch his series, then come ask specific questions if you want. Not criticising him, just suggesting that you pick and choose from his methods.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Specifically, pinning the dog to the ground is a truly barbaric move. Equivalent to a violent beating on a mental level.

Tapping the dog's hind leg while walking results in nothing more than the dog anticipating the next tap.

Dragging the dog wearing a flat collar across various surfaces results in a dog weary of the owner's violent tendencies.

I did like the way the man handled stronger dogs because if he kicked, tapped or dragged .... The dog would swiftly end his career.

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
I like CM but agree there is no cookie cutter rule that applies to every dog. What he does best is teach how to read a dogs body language.

Tapping the dog's hind leg while walking results in nothing more than the dog anticipating the next tap.
Your right the dog will quickly figure out why it happens.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to stick to only the techniques that are calm and respectful of my wonderful Odie!

·
Registered
349 Posts
One thing people SHOULD be learning from him and his methods is that EVERY dog is different. You don't need to be "harsh" or "physical" with every dog. Luke someone else pointed out, he teaches how to read a dog and his body language and teaches very specific ways to respond. Not everyone should be using the techniques because people may do them wrong. He is always reminding people of that. He is a professional who has been working with dogs a LONG time on an intense level. We have pets...so we need to keep in mind that our dogs need only a sliver of his methods, especially since most of our pets are NOT troubled, "red zone" animals, etc.

What everyone should be taking away from his show is there are always ways to learn from your dog. There are always ways you can fix a dog, no matter what the problem. Never give up on your dog, no matter how badly it gets. There are ways to help every animal. Most people are misunderstanding their dog and adding to the problem because of it. We need to be more in tune with what our dog needs and wants and is telling us by their behavior. THAT is the basis of everything that CM teaches. I believe every pet owner should live and love and think that way. Just my small opinion. :)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=MruACkeJ8dI

This one is good, like what he does but it takes a super unsocialized powerful dog + gentle but clueless owner for it to work.

Never knew that if my dog is leaning on me, it is really planing to occupy my space ;)
See, that is something stupid, I just disregard with a Vizsla. CM, on the other hand would roll the dog in no time.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts