Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We let Ruby lay in bed with us for an hour before she goes in the crate and an hour in the morning since my husband gets up before me.

Ruby loves to borrow under the covers and will sleep the whole time. She has her whole body and head under there and I always worry she will sufficate but she loves it. We live in Florida so she can't be that cold. Of course, she has to be touching one of us while under covers.

Is this a V trait?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ha! Tanner does this too... Like you I am always worried that he can't breathe under a sheet and 2 blankets but when he's under all those covers he sleeps like a rock. I don't even think he moves a muscle.

And yes, he must ALWAYS be touching me at ALL times! (Of course I am totally okay with this) :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
It is for my V. Makes me laugh practically every time. We place him on the bed and he plops himself right next to whoever Is laying down. He used to burrow himself under blankets but now, since we know he is most comfortable that way, we put a blanket right over him. He has one in his crate too. Never met a dog like Otto!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes, our Blue loves to sleep at the foot of the bed under the covers...and I too worried about her not having any air to breathe. But the general routine is, she will wake up at some point panting...and if I don't uncover her (and us ;)), she will eventually find her way up to the top of the bed, stick just her head out and rest it on my pillow like a little human. Spoiled rotten! Mac, on the other hand, will start under the covers, but generally only stays for alittle while...then it is either on top of the covers or on his own bed on the floor. ::)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Jasper likes to spend at least part of the night beneath the covers. Usually first thing at night, then in the early morning.

I was actually warned that this is a pretty common V trait before I got him!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Magnus sleeps in his crate (right beside our bed) all night and I let him out as early as acceptable (6:30 - 7:00 am) so he can cuddle with us. He jumps up on the bed immediately and waits for us to lift up the duvet so he can crawl in - he then proceeds to take over 2/3 of the bed.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Not just V's, pointers too. :)

The normal routine for us is ''Bed Fred" as the signal, then they go and lay on top of the covers while I brush my fangs etc., Once I am in bed, first Astro and then Zsa Zsa will dive under the covers. Astro varies positions between laying on my feet and laying next to me the same way I lay with his head on my pillow too. Zsa Zsa is normally right next to me, with her little head either in the crook of my shoulder or arm, or on my chest. She stays there pretty much all night. When Zsa Zsa gets warm, she goes and sleeps on the lounge for a while. When Astro gets warm, he just sticks his nose out from under the cover. :)

Ozkar is like Astro on the nights he stays over. But, he starts on top of the covers hoping that mum will come get him. But, by about midnight, he works out he is staying and comes up the the top of the bed and nudges me to lift up the covers. He slides in next to me, Astro at my feet and Zsa Zsa on the other side, one happy little family. If I get either another girlfriend or another dog, I will need to upgrade to a KS bed! :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
We swore that Riley wouldn't sleep in bed with us... fast forward a couple months. Let's just say she prefers to be under the covers and it is dangerous to get up and go to the bathroom because she is a pillow thief. :p

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
threefsh said:
We swore that Riley wouldn't sleep in bed with us... fast forward a couple months. Let's just say she prefers to be under the covers and it is dangerous to get up and go to the bathroom because she is a pillow thief. :p
I should go back and have a look at your posts, I have a feeling I may have made a snide remark about not letting your V in bed with you!!! :) :)

I never had dogs sleep inside the house prior to having the Vizslas. Always allowed them inside, but at night, they went out the back into their kennel. All be it with a warm coat in winter. I couldn't have my baby Cocker Spaniels cold after all. :) But, when I got Ozkar, I was quite ill. So I spent a lot of time in bed while my wife was at work. I was quite debilitated and had no physical strength. So if Ozkar got into bed, I really wasn't able to get him back out without considerable physical pain and effort. So, he stayed in bed. At the end of the day, I would not have it any other way. I love waking up and having those beautiful yellow eyes staring at me in the early morning light. I love waking up and finding the soft ears of a Vizsla draped across my face. I love rolling over in the middle of the night, half asleep, feeling the soft coat of Ozkar or Astro or Zsa Zsa under my palm, or against my leg, back, feet, face, stomach! :) I may be a sad individual in others eyes, but ****, it's not about anyone else but me and my dogs. :)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Willie has his choice of sleeping spots. Usually, he sleeps on his couch or in his easy chair. Sometimes he comes into my bedroom and hops up on the bed for a snuggle and sleep. This happens most often during a thunderstorm.

I think he was probably crate trained by his first owners (the ones who lost him). That's why he is comfortable sleeping by himself. Nevertheless, I always make sure that he knows he has a choice. :) He isn't really a bed hog, so I don't mind either way. When he is on my bed, I fling an afghan over him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh yeah, mine always loved being under the covers. Fallon will go to the bottam and lay curled up in a ball. kaden always laid on the right side with his head on my hip.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am afraid to let Copper on the bed...When he was a little younger he jumped up on the bed and pee'd on the comforter...this happened twice. Do you think now that he is 100% housetrained and accident free for over 2 months I can try him on the bed again?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SerCopper said:
I am afraid to let Copper on the bed...When he was a little younger he jumped up on the bed and pee'd on the comforter...this happened twice. Do you think now that he is 100% housetrained and accident free for over 2 months I can try him on the bed again?
Ruby did this twice when she was younger and never did it again. I think you should give it a try again.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ironically, after I posted this Ruby flipped out under the covers this morning. Almost like something bit her - she was in a dead sleep and jumped in the air and landed on the floor. She kept sniffing all around the bed and jumped on top and was really skiddish. We couldn't find anything in the room. I thought maybe a bug or something but nothing was there. She was so freaked out we had to bring her downstairs. So odd. I know they have great memories so we will see how she does tonight.

My concern...what the heck was under my covers in my bed...she is pretty spot on when sniffing something out. ???

·
Registered
599 Posts
Kobi loves to get under the covers... we refer to him as "the bulldozer" since he'll plow his way under the covers with his head. However lots of times he gets hot and moves around. He doesn't actually sleep in the bed at night because he can't stay still and I always get frustrated and put him in his crate. Sometimes he gets to cuddle with my girlfriend in the morning after I get up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Lola does this too at home a lot. Soon as the kids are in bed for the night and its time to relax and snuggle by the sofa she will lay on my legs and will not move once the blanket is over her. Snores like a trooper aswel. :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ozkar said:
I should go back and have a look at your posts, I have a feeling I may have made a snide remark about not letting your V in bed with you!!! :) :)
I had to go back and check... looks like you may have been *thinking* something snide, but you didn't post anything. ;)

My hubby laughs at me, but I simply cannot resist Riley's little cries to join us in bed. She's so soft and snuggly... and warm! I haven't ever been cold at night with her in bed. <3

SerCopper said:
Riley was the same way! As soon as she was 100% housetrained, she never had an accident on the bed again.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,156 Posts
on the very occasional time that i'm not first up in our house (normally 5:30am for me) Rubes will sneak up and dive under the quilt :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts