Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how common it is to have a V with an undocked tail.

We live in Europe, where it's illegal for the most part to alter animals, so our pup has his whole tail. =) It looks like a little red snake sometimes. My cat can't help but chase it, bringing laughs from all of us!!

What about you guys?

·
Registered
49 Posts
In in Ontario, Canada. From what I understand, having the tails docked here is "standard." We were never asked by our breeder whether or not we wanted it done; it just was! That being said, there was a V in my boy's litter without a docked tail, but apparently her new owners requested that before she was born.

·
Registered
540 Posts
We did not really had a choice- all 4 of our v's came with the tail docked.
I think docking is done to prevent injuries or a broken tail.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My Wirehaired boy has an undocked tail - I love them with long tails as they are so expressive. Nothing like that whip lash with the tail and the wiggly bum when they greet you!! We are in the UK so as you say - no tail docking unless for hunting dogs and no ear cropping.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Redbirdog- thanks for posting! It's nice to know that it doesn't hurt the puppies to have their tails docked. My puppy's tail definitely whips around, I hope he doesn't injure himself. It's got a bump in it at the exact place it would have been docked.

For some reason, I forgot there were so many from the UK on here! Is there anyone in Italy? (or taking a trip soon?) I'd love to meet up with another V owner!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I think most Vs in Europe have undocked tails now. I have nothing against either or :) My US V. Sophie has a docked tail, and I can't imagine her with a long one! My HU V. Pacsirta has an undocked tail (and it's quite long, too)...and I can't imagine her with a docked one :) Her long tail is such a part of her personality. I love it especially when she points - the tail straightens out up to the very tip of the tail. So funny-looking! :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
flynnandlunasmom said:
It's my understanding that in the U.S. they all have to be docked, right?
That is the American Kennel Club Standard, docked 1/3 off. It is not mandatory per the standard, but is "preferred". We occasionally get someone who requests we don't dock a pup's tail. Generally the request is based on the perception that it's cruel and mutilation with no background in how it's performed, when and why.

I try to educate first. I also explain that we have no way of knowing on day two which pup might be the right fit for the family, so we would have to leave All pups undocked to meet that request. In the past after discussion, education and explanation people come to understand it's really no big deal. My daughter screamed much, much more and for much, much longer from her first innoculation as a baby than any pup we've had docked at day 2.

Ken

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
For some strange reason in the UK docking of tails is banned unless the dog is used for hunting, you can no longer show a dog at Crufts if your dog is docked...all the liberal lefties in our country have taken over the asylum......yet children are still being abused and all sort of wrongness is going on in our country....but don't you dare dock a dogs tail....sorry I am on my soap box ....by the way Darcy is docked one third removed as is the breed standard and I don't really hunt, but don't tell the loony lefties...

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I think the person who docked my Willie Boy's tail did not understand the breed standard very well. Instead of leaving two thirds, he removed two thirds. So Willie's tail is kind of "stumpy" if you ask me. On the "up" side, Willie doesn't clear off the coffee table with one sweep of his tail, as some of my other dogs have done. ;)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yes dew claws are allowed to be removed in the UK..it's about the only thing we can actually get done..

·
Administrator
4,181 Posts
Ruby is un-docked, but as she was an 8 week old "rescue" I didn't have any say in the matter. it doesn't seem to affect her on hunts, but I know the potential is there for her to get it snagged/injured. When I get another via the "normal route" I'd ask for a docked tail.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts