Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Vizsla is 15 months old. She seems small and underweight to me. She is not even 20" to the withers and is 37lbs. Vet said she needed to gain weight and for the past 3 weeks I have been over feeding her and she hasn't gained a pound. Has she stopped growing? Did I get stuck with a runt?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I don't think you got "stuck" with anything but a loving vizsla who is rather petite ;)

All of the Vs on here vary in size- some are larger and some are smaller. There are others on here that have females of similar size as your pup so I doubt that she's a "runt," but likely just on the smaller end of the spectrum. Was mom, dad or both on the smaller side?

I would also suggest not overfeeding your little lady but evaluating the food that you're feeding her first and see if there is something that better suits her needs to gain weight if she needs to gain weight. There are a few threads regarding food that you could look into/read on here to shed some light on food.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the females in her line run large so I am surprised by how small she is. I prefer males dogs in general so for my first female dog to be sub-standard is a bit disappointing. I will look at the food suggestions in diet section but she has been eating Blue Buffalo since I got her. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't understand why people get obsessed by the size of their dogs. There are lots of qualities I look for in a dog but size isn't one of them because I don't think of a size as a 'quality'. I am sad that you think of your dog as 'sub-standard'.

When you say you are now 'over feeding' your V, what are you basing this on? The suggestions on the packet? I don't understand why people worry so much about what it says on the packet - dogs vary a lot - and the suggestions aren't even specific to your breed or account for your dog's activity. It's simple, if your dog is too skinny, feed more, if your dog is too fat then feed it less! :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Not sure if you are open to feeding people food, but we need to try to put weight on ours as well and we use yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, and peanut butter in his kibble to help. Suggestion of our breeder and vet. He also gets lots of fruit and veggies and some fresh fish but these aren't likely to put weight on our little guy! :) We also use some raw food for supplement but it's way too expensive for us to feed him full time.

·
Registered
799 Posts
At 15 months, Savannah was eating more than the bag recommendations, too. I assume partly because of her activity level. Her kibble was mixed with wet dog food and, like MilesMom, we supplemented with people food - peanut butter, chicken, turkey, veggies, fruit, etc.

If you supplement with people food, I suggest you read a bit about what others have found regarding allergies. By varying the diet, if you do have an allergy problem, you will have to track food fairly quickly and carefully to find the source.

There is a recipe for satin balls on the forum that folks have used to increase weight. It seems to me there are a few other recipes that could also help. Redbirddog's liver treats come to mind. Use the search function. You should find some good ideas.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hm. I'm thinking our male Dozer was just slightly heavier than that at her age. Maybe 40-42 lbs and he is now a solid 46 at 2.5 years old. He didn't stop growing until about two years old. So she still has time. My female is the same weight as you girl but only nine months old. I expect her to end up in the low 40s. I think the size is perfect. She may not be as "hardy" but our girl can really whip and weave off leash probably bec of her size. And it makes a much better size for my lap since they insist on laying there!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
She is what she is. Hopefully that is a loved and needed member of your family, regardless of size. I have one small one, one massive one and one in the middle. The smallest is the hardiest of the three. She will run till she drops...........

Unless you intended to show her for conformation, size shouldn't really matter.

I would imagine your sub-standard remark is probably better worded as "not breed standard" rather than substandard............ :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Is she spayed? I've noticed that the intact females are shorter and more compact, but much faster than the spayed females. Our Riley tops the scales at 40lbs on a good day at 16 months old and she is faster than most Vizslas I know. I had her on TOTW but switched her to Canidae Pure Sea a few months ago and she has definitely bulked up. The higher protein/fat content (40%/20%) has made a huge difference for her.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Maybe you could post a picture? If your vet agrees that she is underweight, perhaps you do need to adjust her diet or coax her to eat more.

Gracie is 18 months and 38 pounds...and we wouldn't have her any other way. I love my pocket rocket! 8)

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
My Ruby was about that at 15 months. She was the runt of the litter so expected her to be small. Now at 2 yrs old she is 42 lbs of solid muscle. We see some of her female litter mates and they are the same size. I love that she is petite and get compliments all of the time for other V owners of what a great size.

Ruby's mother is 42 lbs and father is 55 lbs so we expected the small size. You can see in the picture how much smaller than she is than her V friend and he is only 9 months.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My gorgeous little Darcy, and I mean LITTLE is only 16 kilo's and 21 inches at the shoulder, her mum and grand mother were the same size, she is no runt, but to be fair I thought she might have been a bit larger, but it doesn't matter, she has the heart of a lion and an ego as big as an elephant and she is loved so, so much......................and anyway my wife informs me that size does not really matter, cant think what she means by that...

·
Registered
766 Posts
We've got a small girl too. Elza is only 17.1 kg and maybe 21" .(can't really measure her, she freaks out of the tape measure)

She was indeed the smallest of the litter, we originally wanted a male but due to complications during the birth only girls left and we were lucky to get a girl. It was more important for us to get A dog from that litter than worrying about the sex and the size of the pup. The parents are great.

I wouldn't change Elza for the world. She's the sweetes, funniest girl I could have wished for. Big or small, boy or girl she's stolen our hearts.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does your vet know about viszlas? Ours said Hercules (our male) was ok at 29kg and 25 inches shoulders however he was actually carrying too much weight.

He's now 27 inches at shoulders and around 28kg and looks much better!

If you type in 'fat v' in the search engine (sorry, I don't know how to do the link thing ) on that thread there is a diagram re: dogs ideal body weight.

There's no such thing as a 'runt!' The petite vs I have met are speed demons! They run rings round poor herc and his gangly legs! :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with the others. I don't understand why being "stuck with the runt" and being small is being "substandard".
My bitch that I have have is probably 35 pounds at best. Love her. Granted she is built to run, and is essentially all muscle. I've gotten comments from people at field trials, when I took her to the line, they would say "she ain't no bigger then a minute!". But she can run, and find birds. She's extremely light on her feet and extremely agile and I am sure there won't be any problems with joints.
I have a bigger 55 vizsla as well, and when he runs, he pounds and attacks the ground. As he ages, I fear that his joints may begin to break down.
So, their are advantages to having a smaller dog.
My point is, that there are other, more important qualities in your dog than size.

·
Administrator
8,033 Posts
I love watching those pocket rockets run. The same people that told you she was no bigger than a minute, were probably impressed with the way she covered the field.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My pup is 20 inches at the shoulders and a lean and mean 42 lbs of pure muscle. He's small, but a fierce hunter and is lightning fast. He's a true all day everyday working dog. Don't let the size of your pup dissuade you from working him hard. My little guy typically brings in more birds than the other dogs on the hunt

·
Registered
394 Posts
TexasRed said:
I love watching those pocket rockets run. The same people that told you she was no bigger than a minute, were probably impressed with the way she covered the field.
Thanks... She runs against pointers, and they better run if they want to compete! :) She has done very well so far.

·
Registered
394 Posts
dmak said:
My pup is 20 inches at the shoulders and a lean and mean 42 lbs of pure muscle. He's small, but a fierce hunter and is lightning fast. He's a true all day everyday working dog. Don't let the size of your pup dissuade you from working him hard. My little guy typically brings in more birds than the other dogs on the hunt
It seems that the smaller ones figure out how to get around cover, and don't take the punishment that the bigger ones do. My big guy is a bull in a china cabinet, and afterwards, in an all day hunt, his body shows the punishment he takes. My other smaller boys (probably the size of yours) don't take near the punishment.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts