Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, me and my partner are looking to get a Vizsla but we are unsure what sex to get. I have always wanted a boy but my partner is on the fence. Can people suggest with their experience what is best for training, nature and with kids as we have nieces and nephews that will visit now and again. my mother in law has owned vizslas all her life and prefers boys. I know its how you train them as Vizslas have lovely nature's and personalities but I've read online so many different opinions.
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi all, me and my partner are looking to get a Vizsla but we are unsure what sex to get. I have always wanted a boy but my partner is on the fence. Can people suggest with their experience what is best for training, nature and with kids as we have nieces and nephews that will visit now and again. my mother in law has owned vizslas all her life and prefers boys. I know its how you train them as Vizslas have lovely nature's and personalities but I've read online so many different opinions.
Thanks
I only have experience with a 12.5w female so won’t answer your question. But just wanted to say it’s nice to see someone else getting confused or whatever the word is with all the online advice.

There is so much, and it often conflicts with another piece of advice. It’s an absolute minefield!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I've had Vizsla's for 34 years now. I have had four males, and two females. The girls were a little bit quieter than the boys, but not really that much different in my opinion.
Each dog, regardless of gender, had their own personalities.
I think the only reason I can personally point to in preference of males, over females, is the estrus cycle. I have no intentions of ever breeding dogs, so I would prefer not to deal with the estrus cycle. Even this is an incredibly weak argument, as spaying and neutering remove the discussion altogether.

A top US breeder once told me that the best way to pick a puppy was to "close your eyes, grab one, and never look back". ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
For any specific aspect of temperament there may be a slight difference between the average values of male & female, but there is so much overlap that the difference between individual dogs is much greater. In other words, you can't predict the temperament of an individual dog by its sex.

The best way to chose is to tell the breeder what you want in a dog and let him use his knowledge of his pups to chose one for you. Or close your eyes and grab. It will be the best dog ever and you will "love it to pieces".

·
Administrator
9,374 Posts
No matter what sex you get, you will love that puppy. Unless you have been around a lot of vizslas, you will not be able to tell the slight difference between owning a male or female.
Truthfully you only really notice it, when you have multiple ones in the home at the same time.
My females have always loved me, but the males fall head over hills in love with me.
I really don’t have a preference on either sex. My last two are females, but that is just the way it worked out. Shine was picked for me by the breeder. I did not ask for a certain sex. Heifer’s litter had a lot more girls, so I told the breeder I would go with a girl. If there was one that fit my home. Had she said, there is a little boy that would be perfect for you. I would have gotten a male. Right now I have 2 males, and 2 females. Each has their own personality, and I love all 4 of them.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have two males and they are love bugs. Very trainable and wanting to please, competing for love. I spent a good amount of time with Miksa`s dam (my second boy) and I always said to my breeder that one day I would love to have a puppy from her, as I loved both her temperament and look. Happened to know the sire too and loved him a lot, so just turned out to be my luck that these two got bred. When the time of male or female question came I told the breeder I am ok either way as Bende (my first, very driven but eager to please boy) gets alone with males and females equally just give me the pick of the litter. So I ended up with a boy again (Miksa) and he ended up being the perfect choice for us.
I would take a girl or boy any day, it all depends on the actual puppy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's interesting, I had similar experience as texasred. Our female is a wonderful sweet dog and we love her dearly. She is in tune to, or at least cares more, about our emotions. If my wife or kids are upset, she will be right by their side. When my wife's father died, Stormy would not leave her side for several hours. If anyone is angry at anything, she puts her head down and slinks away, she really doesn’t like it.

My male Vizsla didn’t seem to care a wit about our feelings. BUT, at baseline Tiki was quite a bit more affectionate than our female. Always, always wanting to be laying on top of someone or nestled right along side them, his head in the nape of our neck. Or having his head in our lap, or placing all 60 pounds of him in our lap. The most affectionate dog I've ever owned. A bit more aggressive with other dogs and much more aggressive towards men walking alone on streets or in woods/park. But oh so sweet with us. 2.5 years later there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks
1st off we believe you can go wrong with either. We have had four over our 36 year marriage. And have enjoyed them all tremendously!!!!! We had two males in the early years and LOVED them both. We took a break from V after the lost of our 2nd male because we took is hard as we also always have rescues also and LOVE them also but for us the Vs are just so that that get so close to you. Our third was a girl, we refer to her as Sweet Nellie as she is just so sweet. We have heard people say the the females love you but the males are in love we you. The only thing I would say for us and our experience our female seem to take a little longer to show her character, but the sweetest was from day one and her always wags her tail!!!! When she was 2.5 we got a second V, a male (Sunny) and is the half brother of Nellie. As the opportunity came to get him from the same mother and we jumped at it because the mother is so sweet and seem to produce great family dogs. Sunny suits his name with a Sunny personality. We have found both male and female to be very easy to train!!! As all our exp is Vs are as smart as they are loving. We don’t think you could go wrong we have enjoyed our time with this wonderful breed. And this might sound interesting but we find it so much easier to have two!!! We just are glad Nellie had some time to come into her own. BEST Wishes we time you can NOT go wrong with this breed!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts