Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh yes the joys of being a first time vizsla puppy owner. I myself just got my first vizsla pup last September. While I have had experience with dogs it was my first puppy and I’m sure many can agree that vizsla pups can be challenging due to their energy levels. First, please know that this is normal to have frustrations when you first bring your puppy home. I really struggled with his biting but honestly things got so much better once we got over the training hurdles.

For potty training from what I read I think you’re doing it correctly. Taking the puppy out every 20 minutes - for me honestly I had to take him out more frequently sometimes such as if he drank lots of water or played really hard. You may have to adjust the time if you find he potties before the 20 minute period. One thing a trainer told us that was helpful to me was always put your puppy on a leash during potty training, bring them to the same spots for pee and poop (sometimes those will be different spots), immediately after they potty praise the **** out of them, have a potty party and also give them high value treats after every single time they go outside. If they go inside your house, calmly pick them up, put them on a leash. take them outside, if they go again but this time outside reward reward reward. High value treats made a huge difference and always reward outside not after you come into the house because I learned that confuses them which I had no idea. And once you have a potty routine keep rewarding even if you think they’ve learned potty training stay consistent. I made the mistake in thinking he was done potty training and he regressed to going inside again because I stopped giving him treats when he went outside.

For biting my final lifesaver was when the trainer told me about Binaca, it’s a mint breath spray that isn’t harmful to the eyes or nose or mouth, but dogs don’t like the taste or smell. So whenever he tried to bite I just would spritz him inside his mouth while also saying “no bite” and it only took maybe two times for him to understand no biting. Every dog is different though so you have to find what works. Another option that I tried that didn’t work for us was just exchanging our hands for toys, he didn’t really get it. He also would attack my clothes and jump while walking which always was a huge frustration because I was worried he was going to tear a hole in my clothes or pull them off. He definitely put lots of holes in my clothes but I took it as I knew what I was getting into and he's just a baby.

I would suggest crate training if you haven’t already for times that you need to get stuff done or he needs quiet time. Puppies need more naps than we think. I didn’t know that until my trainer told me. If your puppy likes the crate at night but not during the day then you may need to start smaller. For instance just start feeding meals on the outside of the crate, then move to feeding meals inside the crate, then once he’s ok with that you can feed him and shut the door in the crate but stay there outside the door. Then after that you can start doing small amounts of time with the door open, if he’s ok with that move to door shut for small amounts of time without leaving the room. Then you work your way up to leaving the room. Never open the door if your puppy is crying or barking. Always wait until he’s quiet. There’s a lot of good info out there on crate training. But then once he is quiet for quite a bit while you leave the room for say about 15 minutes you can start naps. I would let him sleep until he woke up on his own and then immediately take puppy outside. That will help you and your husband get to a point where he is quiet so your husband can work and you can do whatever is needed done around the house.

I promise you it gets better by about 5 months you’ll be thinking back like wow that was challenging but now he’s such a great dog I’m so glad I didn’t give up.

41 - 41 of 41 Posts