Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hello, Your puppy is very young. I remember that when I got my pup, it was more hard work than I expected, in spite of having had dogs before. Vizsla puppies definitely have extra intensity and no off switch!! but they are the cutest :) and full of life!! Like @InTheNet said before they get significantly better at month 6 or so. At that time I did a lot of research on how to manage the extra intensity and painful nipping an puppy biting..and these are the things that worked for me.

1. Lot of crate time. Also cover the crate if you can ...they need a LOT of sleep...in fact I remember , at one point he used to be out for only 15-20 mins or so before he got out of control and back in the crate he went. To a large degree this was the only thing that worked to manage the biting.
2. Usually they seem out of control, cranky..again its mostly because they are very tired and need crate time. My pup used to do this at predictable times everyday ( 5pm or so)...so I would put him in the crate before he would go crazy on me.
3.I got a large crate that he can grow into...but used a divider so that his space was small in the crate. I would leave him in the crate and take him out for potty every hour or so for first few weeks ...he was quick to learn not to potty in the house. The limited space in the crate helps ...because they usually won't want to potty where they sleep. If the crate is too big he may go to the other side in the crate and potty there.
4. At some point I did use a squirt gun to let him know that charging at me and biting is not ok....used it sparingly, but it worked. you may want to keep a couple around in your room.

Enjoy your pup, they grow up fast...he will be the best dog in a few months, hang in there!! I remember at times i was so tired of handling his energy...but then one day he caught kennel cough from some other dog and was not moving much at all and looking very sad. and had me really worried. At that moment, I remember feeling I would give anything to have him back at his regular intense, full of energy self!! They are clowns!... enjoy this time.
Thank you so much! His crate is covered and with a divider as you describe. He doesn’t have accidents overnight (have I jinxed myself now?). But wow, much as I want to commit to crating him for 10 min. if he doesn’t potty outside, the barkscreaming that would ensue seems almost more intolerable than another pee in the house - as happened today at least once. It was a terrible afternoon here after a quite lovely morning. Rainy today, which probably made everything worse, though he minded it less than expected. He would NOT chill out this evening at his normal time, like a kid with too much sugar. We actually wondered if the carrot we gave him today (and which he LOVED) had made him hyper. 😄 Simply not himself and zoomies went on foreeeeeever. As I replied to another poster, these highs and lows are killing me. Also the potty training. I decided to try potty bells so hung them up today - he barked, growled and lunged at them until I took them down and put them out of sight! Never mind! (Primal scream) It will get better, it will get better…….. Thank you again. What a day. I do hope your is fit as a fiddle now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m so glad to have found this group. We are at wit’s end and need support and suggestions. We dreamed for years of bringing our puppy home and thought we were completely prepared in every way. But despite knowing it was going to be HARD work, especially the first month, we're really struggling.

Nighttime is kind of okay, which is a relief. Our male pup goes right to sleep in his crate in his bed and only gets me up once or twice. That is the only thing going well for us. Potty training is still a mess. But what has us losing it is we can't seem to make any progress getting him on a schedule, most notably napping or occupying himself in his crate or pen for even short times during the day so we can move freely and simply make/eat meals and take care of necessary tasks. Despite providing toys, Kong, etc., to keep him occupied, the barking, screaming and fuss are absolutely nonstop.

To make the situation even more stressful, my husband can't tolerate the incessant barking as we try to accustom our puppy to confinement. I've been using vacation time to this point so I could be here to get everyone settled. But when he is home alone later this week, trying to work, he won't be able to simply remove himself from the noise and won't be able to get his work done, especially as pup and pen will be in the same room with him. Frankly, I have been caught blindsided by his inability to cope with this.

I really need suggestions if you have some. I spend every spare minute watching training videos, reading books, throwing money at toys and things to help. Nothing works. I know we’re doing something wrong - probably many things - but I am so overwhelmed I don‘t know where to start or where to turn.

I don't want to be forced to return our beautiful boy, but am caught in the middle of a "me or the dog" bind. Also “my sanity or the dog.” I'm very desperate to find solutions rather than make the hard choice but am running out of options.

Thank you. Also if you are in the Twin Cities and know of any good in home trainers, please let me know.
Thank you so much for your reply. This is very helpful. Yes, SO MUCH crying!

I’m constantly taking our little guy outside. To the point he seems to be super sick of being toted out to the potty spot. Still, he will pee outside, then find more to pee soon after returning inside. Argh. It’s hard to concentrate on training games and playtime when worried and watching for signs he’s going to pee yet again. I have potty bells to try, just have to figure where to put them since he is confined to one part of our big family room for now and doesn’t have direct access all the way to the potty door.

His crate is cozy at night, he won‘t quiet down unless his bed is in there. But when agitated during the day for naps, it’s just covered crate with Nylabone or Kong for entertainment and his Snugglepuppy on top of the crate. I’ve been cautioned against having bedding in the crate until at least through the teething stage. Some crate news from today though - he finally quieted down in the crate twice! I tried adding white noise from my iPad, so maybe that made the difference? I’ve been reluctant to crate him for short stints if he doesn’t potty outside or for naps when he’s overtired because of the endless (and I mean endless) barkscreaming. But I’m just going to have to go for it aren’t I? Hoping this was a step in the right direction. Also had some pretty good crate and pen game responses. Nervous to see what happens when I leave him with my husband to sneak in a run tomorrow morning. Adding some healthy normalcy back into our days while still seeing to all the puppy needs is crucial for success. Gotta go for it and hope we’re pleasantly surprised!

I’m curious - is Poppy also comfortable being in the crate away from you? What are your favorite puzzles/ games? Thank you!
Thank you so much! His crate is covered and with a divider as you describe. He doesn’t have accidents overnight (have I jinxed myself now?). But wow, much as I want to commit to crating him for 10 min. if he doesn’t potty outside, the barkscreaming that would ensue seems almost more intolerable than another pee in the house - as happened today at least once. It was a terrible afternoon here after a quite lovely morning. Rainy today, which probably made everything worse, though he minded it less than expected. He would NOT chill out this evening at his normal time, like a kid with too much sugar. We actually wondered if the carrot we gave him today (and which he LOVED) had made him hyper. 😄 Simply not himself and zoomies went on foreeeeeever. As I replied to another poster, these highs and lows are killing me. Also the potty training. I decided to try potty bells so hung them up today - he barked, growled and lunged at them until I took them down and put them out of sight! Never mind! (Primal scream) It will get better, it will get better…….. Thank you again. What a day. I do hope your is fit as a fiddle now.
You have a baby vizsla. He wants to be with you not be alone. You can try rolling a towel up jelly roll fashion and putting that in his crate around his body so he can snuggle into it an get some warmth. You can also try putting an article of your clothing into or next to his crate so he smells you and thinks you are near and you can try putting a towel over his crate. That might help with the howling or barking.

Potty training -- Again he is a baby and just like a human baby you are on his body's schedule
you have to keep taking him outside every half hour or so. The time will get longer and you will get an idea of how often he pees/poops. You just have to keep at it and eventually he will get the idea of going out.
Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have a baby vizsla. He wants to be with you not be alone. You can try rolling a towel up jelly roll fashion and putting that in his crate around his body so he can snuggle into it an get some warmth. You can also try putting an article of your clothing into or next to his crate so he smells you and thinks you are near and you can try putting a towel over his crate. That might help with the howling or barking.

Potty training -- Again he is a baby and just like a human baby you are on his body's schedule
you have to keep taking him outside every half hour or so. The time will get longer and you will get an idea of how often he pees/poops. You just have to keep at it and eventually he will get the idea of going out.
Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Hope this is helpful.
These are great ideas. We still chuck a t-shirt from the day in the crate at night. We also used a stuffed toy with a simulated heartbeat (from Amazon) which also seemed to help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for your reply. His crate is covered and he is actually fine in his crate at night, so long as he has his cozy bed to curl up in. (Knock on wood) It’s naps throughout the day that are a problem. He gets overtired all the time and won’t settle down, which is of course a vicious cycle. It’s been nearly impossible when we are both working at home, even though he always has one or the other of us with him. He isn’t entertained by Kongs, etc., hasn’t quite figured out how to keep himself entertained. At all. On the plus side, no accidents today … so far. On the minus, today he has figured out that sitting by the door = unlimited trips outdoors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Having a pup (any pup) is part research, part trial and error and an immense amount of resilience/patience. It’s tough. And high energy dogs like V’s are never going to be an easy feat. For up to the next two years it’ll be SUPER up and down - they’re learning everything about us, our world and their place in it as well as having major sensory overload during the process as they develop. It’s not linear and everyone’s experience is going to be different, as they’re individuals.

Honestly, I think everybody goes through the “what the **** was I thinking” thing even if it’s very fleeting. I have an 11 month old and some days I think wow how lucky am I, others I’m like… WHO RAISED YOU, CHILD?!?!

There are great people on here with awesome advice health wise or behaviour wise or otherwise. But it really does come down to you and what you can put into it. It’ll be totally worth it as long as you’re willing to push your patience to it’s limits and put your all into helping the pup develop and learn best they can. Just know you’re not alone haha, it can be ROUGH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Having a pup (any pup) is part research, part trial and error and an immense amount of resilience/patience. It’s tough. And high energy dogs like V’s are never going to be an easy feat. For up to the next two years it’ll be SUPER up and down - they’re learning everything about us, our world and their place in it as well as having major sensory overload during the process as they develop. It’s not linear and everyone’s experience is going to be different, as they’re individuals.

Honestly, I think everybody goes through the “what the **** was I thinking” thing even if it’s very fleeting. I have an 11 month old and some days I think wow how lucky am I, others I’m like… WHO RAISED YOU, CHILD?!?!

There are great people on here with awesome advice health wise or behaviour wise or otherwise. But it really does come down to you and what you can put into it. It’ll be totally worth it as long as you’re willing to push your patience to it’s limits and put your all into helping the pup develop and learn best they can. Just know you’re not alone haha, it can be ROUGH
Thank you very much. Another terrible day of wild mania. The sweet pup who used to climb up to snuggle now just scrambles up repeatedly to go nuts trying to bite any part of me he can reach around the toys I use for shields. He’s gone directly from newborn to terrible twos.

I’m trying very hard, getting help from a training group and you wonderful people here, but am losing the battle. He’s plainly tapped out, but other than putting him in his kennel to scream for an hour, which not only feels very cruel, makes it awfully difficult for my husband to conduct business on the phone … I am at a loss🤯

·
Registered
2 Posts
Twin Cities? I’m there, if you do want to get rid of him just let me know :)

Seriously though I don’t remember much of that stage. My guy was in the crate one night, then I was with him (my mistake). Now I could put him back in but and he would be good but he stays out, he prefers human contact and his cozy cave over everything else in the world. He was pretty good at potty training but it did take a couple of weeks, then a month later he would randomly walk across the floor and pee as he went. No idea why. He would not walk on a leash for 3-4 weeks, I remember taking a video when he finally did that. Then he would pull constantly. Today he is almost perfect, he is almost 5. I found that after 2 1/2 years he totally mellowed out and if I leave he sleeps downstairs in his cozy cave and comes back when I come home. I have to urge him out of bed in the morning as he likes his sleep. Other than the hair that comes off when I pet him he is one of the best dogs I have ever had.

Best of luck, if will be well worth it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Twin Cities? I’m there, if you do want to get rid of him just let me know :)

Seriously though I don’t remember much of that stage. My guy was in the crate one night, then I was with him (my mistake). Now I could put him back in but and he would be good but he stays out, he prefers human contact and his cozy cave over everything else in the world. He was pretty good at potty training but it did take a couple of weeks, then a month later he would randomly walk across the floor and pee as he went. No idea why. He would not walk on a leash for 3-4 weeks, I remember taking a video when he finally did that. Then he would pull constantly. Today he is almost perfect, he is almost 5. I found that after 2 1/2 years he totally mellowed out and if I leave he sleeps downstairs in his cozy cave and comes back when I come home. I have to urge him out of bed in the morning as he likes his sleep. Other than the hair that comes off when I pet him he is one of the best dogs I have ever had.

Best of luck, if will be well worth it!
Thank you. He has to be returned to the breeder per Bill of Sale, but good on you for being willing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m so glad to have found this group. We are at wit’s end and need support and suggestions. We dreamed for years of bringing our puppy home and thought we were completely prepared in every way. But despite knowing it was going to be HARD work, especially the first month, we're really struggling.

Nighttime is kind of okay, which is a relief. Our male pup goes right to sleep in his crate in his bed and only gets me up once or twice. That is the only thing going well for us. Potty training is still a mess. But what has us losing it is we can't seem to make any progress getting him on a schedule, most notably napping or occupying himself in his crate or pen for even short times during the day so we can move freely and simply make/eat meals and take care of necessary tasks. Despite providing toys, Kong, etc., to keep him occupied, the barking, screaming and fuss are absolutely nonstop.

To make the situation even more stressful, my husband can't tolerate the incessant barking as we try to accustom our puppy to confinement. I've been using vacation time to this point so I could be here to get everyone settled. But when he is home alone later this week, trying to work, he won't be able to simply remove himself from the noise and won't be able to get his work done, especially as pup and pen will be in the same room with him. Frankly, I have been caught blindsided by his inability to cope with this.

I really need suggestions if you have some. I spend every spare minute watching training videos, reading books, throwing money at toys and things to help. Nothing works. I know we’re doing something wrong - probably many things - but I am so overwhelmed I don‘t know where to start or where to turn.

I don't want to be forced to return our beautiful boy, but am caught in the middle of a "me or the dog" bind. Also “my sanity or the dog.” I'm very desperate to find solutions rather than make the hard choice but am running out of options.

Thank you. Also if you are in the Twin Cities and know of any good in home trainers, please let me know.
Hi!! oh I read your post and I felt so related! We have a V that now has 13 months. We have also 2 GSP (7 y.old) that hate him since day one! And I have similar issues with my husband, he is a dog lover but sometimes I thinks a vizsla is overwelming for him... Stressed because is so demanding a V puppy.
So i´m the only one in charge of my beautiful boy, and yes, if he was alone in his crate at day he barked... non stop. But has been improving since day one, incredible. First week our neighbor texted me asking if our dog was sick because all the noise!! 😱
He learned fast his routines (cuople of months, that I think was fast), but he needs the schedule. He´s so loving that at night he needs extra cuddles in the crate to go to sleep... if you don´t do it he barks... is just like a baby. Even at night he doesn´t like darkness so I have to go out with him so he can pee in our back yard. 😅

I tried most of Kong toys, he´s not into any of the red/black ones that you can stuff. He likes anything that squeaks!! So i can tell you now that I found a Kong duck that squeaks but its not as loud as other kong animals that he loves. He also loves Godog toys, specially fur ones (dragons!). is relaxing for him I think, he bites them like chewing.
And loves puzzes, loves the blue trixie lab, Nina Ottosson, lickimat and indoor chuckit balls/toys. And the one that he loves and has last (no idea if it´s good or bad, just worked for us) a wooden antler from GIGwi. He still cant destroy it, so its the best for us when he´s alone... one day he ate the door frame while he was "taking a nap" in the laundry room.
I don´t know i´f you can, but here worked for me play in the back yard, or inside,with squeakers balls, so he fetch and back and forth... also we go to the park near to our home and we go for walks... 30 min early in the morning, another 30 at afternoon... increasing time now he´s older. and with 10 mts long leash so he can run but in control while he learn recall. (still working on that). And off leash walks on the weekends, early so no distractions.. still a work in progress. (more than once he has ended in the lagoon chasing ducks)

And short training times, 10 minutes: sit, paw, hi five, down, spin. up... and about potty training I repited every time we went out the word "pee, pee" and in one month I think, he was able to understand that. he crieas at the dorr so we know he wants to pee or else. Vizslas are incredible smart, I can compare with our previous dogs over the years (collies, GSP, Cocker spaniel, great dane, golden)... Vizslas are fast lerners, but extra velcro. When I work at home he likes to seat in the same chair with me, in the back and puts his head in my shoulder. I think they need a lot of contact, when we are at home and he need a nad, he cries because want someone to be beside him. 🥰
Almost forgot!... and frozen lickimat with greek yogurt and peanut butter. one day lickimat, one pizzle, one lab, and so...
I can tell you that still a lots of things frustrated me, still no relaxing on leash walks, hates nail cuttings, still a very reactive dog when he sees other dogs (extra intense playing), but I love him sooooo much. I really think that he belongs with me, that he has been pushing me to be patient and constant (I have 3 kids and he´s more demanding!).
Hope you can find light soon, and help, a trainer that can help you achieve more with your dog. Is very hard at first, maybe more that other puppies, but so worth it. My V was kicked of from training class at 4 months because he was too intense!! all the other puppies behaved so well 😂😂😂
Im not in the US, I know that there you can find the help you need. Start classes with him on weekends if you can... agility, obedience, etc.
Here Hunter has been a challenge, but its going forward. 🧡🧡🧡
And a long time ago we tried to have a cat... and didn´t work, but we found him the perfect home. Just in case... I can tell that you´re doing your best!! however everything turns out will be for the best. Sending you a lots of light and good vibes. 💛💛💛

(Hope you understand, spanish is my native language so I tried my best!)

·
Registered
9 Posts

I can see I am late to responding to this so hopefully things have worked themselves out. However with our pup, we basically did the cry it out method like you would for a baby. We left him home alone in his crate for a couple of hours one day while we went to church, he was quiet when we came home, then the next day the same thing, we left him home alone in his covered crate while I went and ran errands for an hour or so. Just like a baby they need to learn to self soothe, it’s really hard for both pup and parent if you are there listening to them “cry it out”. This probably won’t be a popular opinion with a lot of people but ours caught on really quickly and he was happy to be in his create 3 days into it. He happily goes in his great quietly and calmly now for however long we need him to be in it. Best thing ever for all of us. Good luck!!

·
Registered
Ellie
510 Posts
I'm late responding and you already have tons of good advice here. I can offer that what you are experiencing is completely normal. It's all about scheduling with these buggers, they thrive on it. Thing is that won't really click until a few months and then things will slowly get better until 5.5-6.5 months old and all of a sudden you have a different pup. I remember the first time Ellie laid down on her own in my office on a blanket, her first time "self-settling" , brought tears to my eyes.

Our neighbor recently got a doodle pup, and day one he's finding a nice spot on the carpet, plopping down and taking a nap on his own. I just shook my head...

·
Registered
15 Posts

Hi you seem to be going through the normal puppy phase for a pup. I think being at wits end 10 days into having a new pup is quite concerning so you should really speak to your husband about what his expectations where when you guys got this pup.

your Vizsla pup will be difficult to manage from 2-5 months, as they are very energetic, high needs breed (around 6months is when my Vizsla at least started to behave better, listen better, stop whining, but this could depend on each pup) . They need socialization (being around people and dogs), high exercise to tire them out, and understanding patient owners who will stick it out with him during his puppy phase.

I think a previous comment was Vizslanalyzing you because from the initial post the way you described the puppy was as if you were blindsided by normal puppy behavior. (Maybe that’s why he asked what in your world is a good 24hrs with a pup)

IT WILL GET BETTER,JUST STICK TO ROUTINE AND PATIENCE. THEY ARE SO WORTH IT!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you very much! Right now I’m focusing on getting to that 12-week mark. Seems like that can be the first turning point? Will set 6 mos. as the next carrot! Good news is that we set the playpen up out in the room where my husband works, and things went incredibly well. Of course I was still around to provide potty breaks, etc., but … I’m taking that as progress and a good sign. Thank you, again. P.S. 6-8 hours, huh? 😂
Yes hang in there!! It does get better. My V is now 7 months she is starting to enter the teenage dog period. I can relate to your experiences and frustrations. I struggled and still am a little with the potty training. For sure they are all different. I was not as good about taking her out every 20-30 min which looking back was a big part and of the problem. We have the potty bell and also had that same issue with it being at the front door which she could not get to to ring as she was gated in our kitchen while we were home. We put another in the kitchen at the door there. She learned quickly to ring it. Now she is allowed out of kitchen while we are there and watching her and will ring the bell sometimes very 5-10 min just because she wants to go outside ( can get a little annoying especially if i just took her out!)
keep at the potty training. One thing i have found really helped when i Crate trained her was i set up a s did the exact same every time i put her in Crate: soothing anti- anxiety music

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes hang in there!! It does get better. My V is now 7 months she is starting to enter the teenage dog period. I can relate to your experiences and frustrations. I struggled and still am a little with the potty training. For sure they are all different. I was not as good about taking her out every 20-30 min which looking back was a big part and of the problem. We have the potty bell and also had that same issue with it being at the front door which she could not get to to ring as she was gated in our kitchen while we were home. We put another in the kitchen at the door there. She learned quickly to ring it. Now she is allowed out of kitchen while we are there and watching her and will ring the bell sometimes very 5-10 min just because she wants to go outside ( can get a little annoying especially if i just took her out!)
keep at the potty training. One thing i have found really helped when i Crate trained her was i set up a s did the exact same every time i put her in Crate: soothing anti- anxiety music
for dogs, and she had this stuffed doggie with heartbeat thing you can turn on. i put that from day one and she now has it as her comfort toy like a toddler has a blanket. eveytime i put her in i give her a couple pieces of cheese ( which she only gets to go in crate) Now She just goes in the Crate when she sees i have the cheese or i just tell her house. She is in the Crate during day when i go to work. just 3-4 hours at a time. I also cover Crate this means it’s quiet time. Everyone also already gave great advice.
6 months you will see he is getting there!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it’s absolutely normal for some people to think “what the heck have I done” after bringing their pup home. I’ve had dogs my whole life but never a vizsla and kimi was like a hurricane! I can laugh about it now, but when he was little he was the most energetic and needy pup I’d ever known. My hands and arms were shredded and I was exhausted. But 10 months on he’s such a lovely boy. Loved by all who meet him. I can’t add to the great advice you’ve already had. But i just wanted to say that if you can, please hang in there. It’s not easy and I don’t doubt this will be the last time whilst your pup is learning to fit in with your family that you’ll feel at your wits end. But if you can push through, the reward you’ll have is honestly like nothing else. One day the potty training will just ‘click’ the biting will suddenly stop, the need for constant stimulation lessens. But it does all take time and patience.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Potty training- best thing I can recommend is bring them out on a leash. Be boring & wait for them to go. At first it will be every 30 minutes. There are apps or some make excel spreadsheets to figure out their dogs typical schedule. If you use a crate-once the door is opened immediately outside on a leash & wait for them to go potty. Make sure to praise/through a party when they go outside. Look disappointed if they have an accident inside the house but no scolding. I use nature’s miracle as a enzyme cleaner for the inside of the house for any accidents.

another thought is hospital bed pads (mine eats pee pads) because they are washable. I lined the crate with them & still use them on the sofa underneath a blanket. It has been an easier cleanup whether wet/muddy paws on the sofa or accident in the night in the crate.

I cannot recommend enough what saved my sanity was obedience classes! I signed my girl up ASAP. Look for akc star puppy or puppy kindergarten. She already has two titles at 15 months old. I kept going with obedience classes & it helped me understand how to communicate with her (positive reinforcement trainer). Now we are on to tricks & that has been super fun!! I’m going to look into rally obedience too! But for the first few months- yes she drove me to tears & made me think twice. I wouldn’t change anything for the world.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is true the V's are all different. My first would only pee on grass when we got him. Living in Boston there wasn't a lot of places with grass. My second, now in the countryside potty trained very quickly. I do remember for both of them, acting really excited and silly when they did go outside. Always had high value treats in my pockets and loaded them up, jumped up and down. Then I played with them outside for awhile. Didn't want them to think...once I pee I have to go inside.

As for the crate, I put them on the schedule they would have when I was working at a young age. Crate from 9:00-11:00 for naps and then again after lunch. Fed meals in there, had treats in there so when they went in it was a yippee, gave them new toys in there.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts