Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

Day 10 with 9 wk old pup - Desperate for Help

7K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  lolad471 
Hello everyone. I’m so glad to have found this group. We are at wit’s end and need support and suggestions. We dreamed for years of bringing our puppy home and thought we were completely prepared in every way. But despite knowing it was going to be HARD work, especially the first month, we're really struggling.

Nighttime is kind of okay, which is a relief. Our male pup goes right to sleep in his crate in his bed and only gets me up once or twice. That is the only thing going well for us. Potty training is still a mess. But what has us losing it is we can't seem to make any progress getting him on a schedule, most notably napping or occupying himself in his crate or pen for even short times during the day so we can move freely and simply make/eat meals and take care of necessary tasks. Despite providing toys, Kong, etc., to keep him occupied, the barking, screaming and fuss are absolutely nonstop.

To make the situation even more stressful, my husband can't tolerate the incessant barking as we try to accustom our puppy to confinement. I've been using vacation time to this point so I could be here to get everyone settled. But when he is home alone later this week, trying to work, he won't be able to simply remove himself from the noise and won't be able to get his work done, especially as pup and pen will be in the same room with him. Frankly, I have been caught blindsided by his inability to cope with this.

I really need suggestions if you have some. I spend every spare minute watching training videos, reading books, throwing money at toys and things to help. Nothing works. I know we’re doing something wrong - probably many things - but I am so overwhelmed I don‘t know where to start or where to turn.

I don't want to be forced to return our beautiful boy, but am caught in the middle of a "me or the dog" bind. Also “my sanity or the dog.” I'm very desperate to find solutions rather than make the hard choice but am running out of options.

Thank you. Also if you are in the Twin Cities and know of any good in home trainers, please let me know.
Hello everyone. I’m so glad to have found this group. We are at wit’s end and need support and suggestions. We dreamed for years of bringing our puppy home and thought we were completely prepared in every way. But despite knowing it was going to be HARD work, especially the first month, we're really struggling.

Nighttime is kind of okay, which is a relief. Our male pup goes right to sleep in his crate in his bed and only gets me up once or twice. That is the only thing going well for us. Potty training is still a mess. But what has us losing it is we can't seem to make any progress getting him on a schedule, most notably napping or occupying himself in his crate or pen for even short times during the day so we can move freely and simply make/eat meals and take care of necessary tasks. Despite providing toys, Kong, etc., to keep him occupied, the barking, screaming and fuss are absolutely nonstop.

To make the situation even more stressful, my husband can't tolerate the incessant barking as we try to accustom our puppy to confinement. I've been using vacation time to this point so I could be here to get everyone settled. But when he is home alone later this week, trying to work, he won't be able to simply remove himself from the noise and won't be able to get his work done, especially as pup and pen will be in the same room with him. Frankly, I have been caught blindsided by his inability to cope with this.

I really need suggestions if you have some. I spend every spare minute watching training videos, reading books, throwing money at toys and things to help. Nothing works. I know we’re doing something wrong - probably many things - but I am so overwhelmed I don‘t know where to start or where to turn.

I don't want to be forced to return our beautiful boy, but am caught in the middle of a "me or the dog" bind. Also “my sanity or the dog.” I'm very desperate to find solutions rather than make the hard choice but am running out of options.

Thank you. Also if you are in the Twin Cities and know of any good in home trainers, please let me know.
Hi you seem to be going through the normal puppy phase for a pup. I think being at wits end 10 days into having a new pup is quite concerning so you should really speak to your husband about what his expectations where when you guys got this pup.

your Vizsla pup will be difficult to manage from 2-5 months, as they are very energetic, high needs breed (around 6months is when my Vizsla at least started to behave better, listen better, stop whining, but this could depend on each pup) . They need socialization (being around people and dogs), high exercise to tire them out, and understanding patient owners who will stick it out with him during his puppy phase.

I think a previous comment was Vizslanalyzing you because from the initial post the way you described the puppy was as if you were blindsided by normal puppy behavior. (Maybe that’s why he asked what in your world is a good 24hrs with a pup)

IT WILL GET BETTER,JUST STICK TO ROUTINE AND PATIENCE. THEY ARE SO WORTH IT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.