Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Our newest family member, Penny, is just over 8 weeks old and is settling in to her new home (today is day 5). So far she has been an absolute pleasure, and we want to give her the optimum level of time and attention she deserves. In general, how many hours should we spend in the same room with penny as she goes about her day-to-day business? We both work from home, so we could potentially spend all the hours in the day by her side. Currently she is in a penned off area (approx. 60 sq feet) with crate inside. She’s taken to the crate as her comfort zone). At night We are sleeping in the adjacent area while she settles in, and are slowly expanding her area, as we slowly move out of the room. During her daytime naps, we leave the room and while she sleeps soundly (2-3 hours at a time). All in all, I’d say half the day is in our company, the other half we are in other rooms of the house. Just wondering does this seem reasonable, or is their recommended/optimal number of hours to be spent with her. We are concerned about attachment issues seeing as our work from home routine naturally keeps us close all the time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It depends on what you want your dogs boundaries to be. Having some separation is good because who knows if you'll be able to work from home forever so your dog needs to get used to being apart from you - I would gauge what you need to do based on its tolerance to separation and maybe start doing little jaunts out of the house once she seems somewhat secure by starting small and working up to her being alone in her crate/safe space while you are gone. Vizsla's do like our company so just finding a balance that works for your household. Just follow your gut!

PS I also go to Anicare Vet, but our Anicare is on Vancouver Island, BC but the doctor is Scottish and I think he studied in Ireland. Small world!

Good luck with your beautiful pup!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me Seamus.

Complementing what organic has already mentioned, I think that it depends on what your future looks like. The typical V will want to be attached to you 100% of the time, but that's not the normal reality for most of us who are not yet retired. I say normal because these are atypical times and many of us are currently working from home. The challenge is separation anxiety is a real thing with Vs and if we condition a new pup to be around us all the time while we work from home, they could develop real problems when we go back to a post-COVID life where they need to be alone for extended periods.

That said, it sounds like you've already taken that into account and are making sure that Penny is comfortable in the crate and has a good amount of alone time each day. If she's only with you 50% of the time currently, it shouldn't be a problem later on to adjust that slightly if you need to. For what it's worth, we're in the same situation with Twix (a year old) and we were putting him in his crate for 2 stints each day (usually after his big morning and afternoon runs). He would go to sleep right away and, lately, we haven't even bothered with the crate. He just settles in on the couch or his dog beds and relaxes.

Bottom line, I don't think that there's any "right" answer. What I love about Vs is how they live to be with their family and I'd personally say enjoy Penny to the max...just try to minimize any shock later on. Hope that helps and congrats on that beautiful girl!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks for taking the time to respond. We’re getting into the swing of things now and I agree that finding the right balance between the present and a post-Covid era, is important. You’ve given me confidence that we’re on the right track. Much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts