Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’d start by letting him go crazy and move to a different room just to get some peace of mind for you. Fred sometimes won’t stop crying either when I’m in the room, but easily settles down when I’m gone and she can’t focus on getting my attention.
I think you’re right, he has everything he needs and is tired enough to get some sleep. I’d say let him go crazy until he falls asleep for let’s say a week or so. Maybe time it and see if his tantrums get shorter. Just hope you haven’t got neighbors.

In my experience, my pup Fred is perfectly crate trained at home, but at work -where I used to let her out if she went apeshit- her behavior is worse.

So, knowing she had everything she needed (toilet break, water etc.) and is tired, I now let her cry as long as it takes for her to fall asleep. But again, after sleep I always open her doors right away and take her out. Never let her cry after she has slept for at least an hour.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi
We are on week 2 of having our now 11 week old Vizsla puppy Murph at home with us...Hes responding amazingly we've been so impressed with him!

However I need to start returning to work (luckily I have very flexible hours and am 5 mins from home)
He sleeps in his crate at night like a dream no comlaints from day one. He sleeps in his crate well during the day, we guide him to it when he starts to get snoozy and settle him down till hes chilled, then shut the door, happily settling himself when we disturb him only if he can see us or we are upstairs. He gets every meal in his crate, has had full crate training trying to get him comfortable in there...

Its when he is awake/stirring, or I try to leave the room and shut the front door (or sometimes go to the loo (upstairs). If he isn't comletely exhausted he whines and sometime kicks up such a distressed fuss climbing and biting the cage. o_O

We are at a bit of a loss... I've seen advice saying don't let him get stressed in the cage it should be his happy place, so I avoid him getting wound up by letting him out before he gets too whiny. The one time I did attempt to leave him to cry and bite the bars, the next time he was incredibly reluctant to go back in.
I am fully aware I am pandering too much and need to put him through his paces being in the crate happily while he is awake so I can actually go back to work properly, not sneaking out the back door for an hour at a time when he is asleep.
We have given him chews and Kongs but they don't entertain him enough to distract him from our abscence. We give him loads of play training and exercise when he is awake.

I'd really appreciate any advice or at least some reassurance I'm doing something right. I want to get this right sooner rather than later causing a bigger separation anxiety problem further down the line.

Emily
x

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe in crate training; it's good for the pup and it's good for the owner. One of the things I hear about so often is just what you're requesting advice on now...a pup that doesn't accept the fact that he can be restrained at any time by his owner. When my pups leave they have been crate trained and then trained to have a bed within an exercise pen. They are in the pen several times during the day for up to maybe 2 hours at a time, It's because puppies need a time out place and the crate &/or exercise pen represents a safe haven to them. They go in the pen, sometimes they'll look at me for a minute or two and then, of their own volition, they take a nap. When they wake up they may play with each other or they may come to the side of the pen and look at me. I'll talk to them but I never rush over to take them out of the pen and "give them freedom." I especailly don't respond if a pup is being vocal with me. I call it learning patience. When I'm ready, anywhere from 5-10 minutes after they wake up, I let them out and we all go out to do puppy business and play for a bit. Then they have a meal, then they go outside again, then they come back and go into the exercise pen. They are never forced and they never complain. When the new owners take them home they have a puppy that knows containment is just for a short time, they don't have separation anxiety when the owner leaves the room, and the owner has peace of mind that he/she has the freedom to go to work or take a shower or go grocery shopping or whatever because the pup feels safe and contented.
I do provide soft toys for cuddling and chew toys for them while in the pen. Chewing hard toys or marrow bones iprovide a calming activity, self soothing, for the pups. This crate training begins when they are puppies and continues into adulthood. When adult they don't need the pen, they just go in their kennel when I ask or they feel like it.
If you try this it just may work out well for you too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Such a supportive reply thank you @Starrpath

Things have been getting better this last week!

Ive worked really hard on making his crate/ play pen area a happy place for him... what makes him happy most is time with me and food so I spent time playing with him in his crate and have give him every meal in a Kong type toy which he enjoys!

Also being able to take him out into the big world had helped heaps!! Its been good for his mental stimulation and my mental health lol
By the time we get home from a short walk in town/the woods I invite him to his crate settle him then walk away... after 3 days I can now leave him awake in his crate walk away out of sight and he settles within minutes!! Result!

Thanks for the support everyone its helped so much!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Such a supportive reply thank you @Starrpath

Things have been getting better this last week!

Ive worked really hard on making his crate/ play pen area a happy place for him... what makes him happy most is time with me and food so I spent time playing with him in his crate and have give him every meal in a Kong type toy which he enjoys!

Also being able to take him out into the big world had helped heaps!! Its been good for his mental stimulation and my mental health lol
By the time we get home from a short walk in town/the woods I invite him to his crate settle him then walk away... after 3 days I can now leave him awake in his crate walk away out of sight and he settles within minutes!! Result!

Thanks for the support everyone its helped so much!
How nice to hear! I'm happy for you :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 10 week old sleeps well in the crate through the night now. The first 3-4 days there was a bit of whining but now he is comfortable. I always have a some ice cubes ( he loves ice cubes) or a chew toy like a Kong with a dab of frozen peanut butter waiting for him..Now in the mornings I take him for a 10 min walk ...at the end of which he is quite tired and I lead him back to the crate...with some small treat...as soon as he is in...I cover all sides of the crate...and I think he just calms down and most likely sleeps...I don't talk to him much when I leave..just cover the crate and leave quickly...so far , although he may whine slightly for a couple of minutes sometimes, he calms down and goes quiet. I take him out after a hour 15 minutes or so...for a potty break..So far so good. I hoping that he will get used to going back in the crate after the morning walk as he grows up. I do the same in the evenings, take him for a 10 minute walk , then he is tired and I lead him back in the crate ..(I have so far found this helpful to manage the evening witching hour he used to have)....may be the key is to be quick when you put him back in the crate and then walk off...he may whine a bit at the start but will learn to calm down, may be leave some ice-cubes or a kong + dab of peanut butter for him in there...

·
Registered
43 Posts
our trainer got us to have a routine when we’re leaving the house. We leave by telling him to “kennel up”, then give him a treat. Then we go out the door. Starting out, we only left for 10 seconds, then we come back calmly and let him out. Repeat this a few times per day. Go out, come back, rinse, repeat.

Our trainer said not to be emotional about it, even if he is emotional, just because you don’t want him to think you coming back or leaving is a big deal. You gradually increase the time. Go for a couple of minutes, etc.

He basically has to learn the owners leaving is not something to be worked up about. Also we leave toys and chews for him to entertain himself. He also has a special treat he only gets in the crate.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts