Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I can't say enough thanks to everyone who responds to my posts! Your insight is incredibly helpful as I make my way through owning and training our first Vizsla (we've only had Labs in the past!). Anyway, we are crate-training our V throughout the day. I'd love to have her on a 8-11 and 12-3 schedule (for when I go back to work as a teacher in 2 weeks!). She does awesome for 2 hours, but then often wakes up and cries. Do I ignore the cries? Take her out and then put her back in her crate? Something else?? She is a little over 12 weeks old...so the 3 hour schedule should work....help, please! :-\

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ignore ignore ignore. :) It's hard! They're very persistent and sound so sad, but unless you think they desperately need to go potty, they don't really "need" anything except attention. So just ignore it until she's quiet, then feel free to let her out. This is definitely the time to desensitize her to being alone for 3 hours at a time, so there will be no problems when you head back to school.

So don't look at her, don't talk to her, and in no way acknowledge her presence until she's quiet.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Well, Pippa is a very young dog with limited bladder control, IMO.

Our Sam had similar habits. We noticed that if he was alone in his crate there was no fussing at all. We never left him alone longer than 3 hours, though.
When we are around every time Sam woke up from a nap/rest he usually cried (because he knew we are around), we took him potty outside (not as an emergency but as a favor to him). After potty we brought him inside and played a little game about 5-10 min, than it was crate time again.
We learned from Sam and Sam learned from us. What we learned from him, he never cried or fussed without reason and he could tell when we were busy and also when we were idling around.
Reasons for fussing were basic life necessities like potty, hunger, hot/cold and not revolving around boredom. Young dogs in general are easily tired (5-10 min) and need lots of rest/sleep.

Another interesting observation comes from out cat. I can call him all day long and will never show, but, if I really mean it he always appears.
Somehow our V can tell the difference, the way we act when we are busy and never bothers or calls. In this case we feel guilty and check on him :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Never open the crate or even look at them while they are making noise. They will think noise = Open crate door. On the other hand your pup is very young and needs to go out regularly. At night they should be OK for at least 5 hours while sleeping. During the day 3 hours tops. At 16 weeks 4 hours and so on. Always wait until they are quite for a minute or 2 and then you can look in their direction and open the crate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts