Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Our lovely 9 week old Madison has been with us for a week and we are struggling with crate training. We have to coax her pretty hard and use high-value treats to entice her into the crate. And she comes right out and sometimes not even bothering finishing the treats. I think the most she has stayed in the crate is 3-5min with help from Kong and chew treats. She sleeps in her crate only after falling asleep on us and we transfer her from lap to crate or in rare instance she walks in after we put her two paws inside crate door. Today I've decided to remove the crate divider and start over with crate training with the entire create (36") instead of half the crate. She seems to prefer the large crate instead of half of the crate. I suspect it may be time to start letting her cry it out while continue to work on crate training, making it the best thing ever for her throughout the day. My questions are at what points do I let her cry it out?

1. Every time she eats /have kong/treats/chews close crate door and let her cry it out, ie., no letting her out until she's quiet?

2. If we stop letting her nap on human laps, how do we entice her to go to her crate to sleep? When we tried it with treats, she'll refuse treat in crate. When we push her in, she'll unsurprisingly want to step out immediately. We can really use some help/tips on this one.

3. Overnight sleep - the current process is let her fall asleep on us, then we transfer her to her crate and lock and cover the crate. One of us sleeps next to her crate and will stick our fingers in crate to soothe her back to sleep when she whimpers. The good news (hurrah!) is that she seems to be able to hold her bladder for 5.5 hours at night. We stop feeding her water by 8pm and take her out for lots of pee/poos before bedtime. Do we let her cry it out for overnight sleeps, too? It's only been a week. I'm more inclined to transition slowly, perhaps with soothing her with voice this week instead of physical touch. Husband prefers to let her cry it out now and thinks I'm too soft (maybe true). I'm concerned that it's too much too soon and she'll become distressed and anxious, neither of which will be good in the long run.

Help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update Alert! Madison went into the crate to sleep for the FIRST time tonight. It's a baby step but feels like a HUGE victory! We did massive play time to tire her out before bedtime. She was looking for my lap to sleep, but I stood a few steps away from her crate. She whimpered a little, went in/out of crate a few times, and settled in her crate by herself. So proud of her. Feels like we are finally heading in the right direction in terms of crate training. I've closed the door and will check on her in 1-2 hours, to take her out for toilet break. Then start again.

We also need to get the timing right of opening her crate door during the small window between her whining. I suspect we are slightly off on the timing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts