Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been feeding our 5 1/2 month old in the crate with the crate locked. We let him settle down for 1/2 hour then let him out. How long should we continue with the crate feeding? How many times should he be fed a day?

Thanks,

KW

·
Registered
842 Posts
Never. The crate is for sleeping. Why would you want to feed him in his crate? Do some research on crate training. He can eat 1-1.5 cups of dry food three time a day. Walk him 10 min after feeding, then crate him before you leave the house and all will be good. ;D

·
Registered
809 Posts
KW, we did this with our guy as recommended by the breeder.
We actually stopped when he was about 6 months old, he started flipping his food bowl in protest. ::), I guess.
At that age we also fed him 3 meals about 1.5 cups.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went by my breeder's instructions also....I was just wondering when to stop. I thought it was so they could eat and let their food settle before they went running around. Isn't there something about a twisted stomach or something?

KW

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nope. I can see no reason to feed a dog in a crate. The crate is for sleeping relaxing and confinement when they can't be watched or trusted with their surroundings. Not for feeding. I can see giving them treats in the crate to get them familiar with the crate but that about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are a lot of people who recommend feeding in a crate. We've done it, and I wouldn't change it. I believe it has made our pup more comfortable with his crate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts