Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
COLOR: BAGUETTE is the true color of the Hungarian Vizsla. In the original official breed standard the color is “zsemlesarga es annak kulonbozo aranyalatai”,” which in correct English means, “French-roll yellow (Baguette) and its different shades”, nowhere EVER was the color anything other than French-roll yellow in Hungarian. The ‘russet gold’ found in English translations is due to an error in translating the Hungarian phrase to English. The German translation ‘Semmelgelb’ (which means French-roll yellow) is correct.”

When shopping for a puppy….if the parents are dark, suggesting “red” or mahogany, please be responsible and Walk Away, do not buy the puppy as you will be an accomplice in doing the breed a disservice. Keep searching, there are breeders out there who are breeding correct colored Vizslas…, just be patient, even if it means getting on a waiting list.

Those who truly love the Vizsla breed and want to protect it must be forever vigilent in upholding its Hallmark breed marks that set it apart from other breeds: its beautiful head and conformaton, color ,moderate rear angulation, low set tail and proper carriage, exceptional natural hunting ability and that special temperment characterized by the mild and kind look in their eyes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Yes, it's true. If you read up on the history of the breed, you will see the Vizsla referred to as the Magyar "yellow pointer".

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
reneevanm.

Picture of three of Bailey's pups.

Baguette colored. Completely agree.

Maybe I should change my blog name to Baguettebirddog. ::)

RBD

Attachments

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
AKC standard - color - golden rust - faulty - mahogany & pale yellow - definition - golden - of the color of gold yellow - rust - strong brown color with a reddish or yellowish tinge ---maybe we need an AKC approved color chip when shopping for our V LOL

·
Registered
809 Posts
flynnandlunasmom said:
Crazy Kian, your dog is beautiful!
Thanks.... personally I think all the V's on here are fine just the way they are. ;)
Imagine if they all looked the same, what fun would that be. ::)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
"BAGUETTE" may be the ideal color, but have you ever seen a litter of puppies with all the same shade? Riley's siblings were all different shades from *almost* too light (he actually darkened up as he aged) to Riley's darker rust color. Riley is the pup in the black collar with white paws. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think it was bold of you to post this in a forum with thousands of members and (perhaps unintentionally) criticize a large majority of the dogs who are probably a little more rust than biscuit color.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
http://redbirddog.blogspot.com/2011/06/hungarian-vizsla-video-1942.html

The black and white video of a kennel full of Vizslas in Hungary 1942 and out in the field. Is this "the standard?" (including the docked tail)

Does the dog hunt? Is the dog built to hunt? Shades of red and white markings don't mean much of anything for me. Form follows function.

I'll post a video tonight of Bailey hunting rabbits (as seen in the field shots in 1942). Completely different attitude than hunting birds. Slow and down as low as he could walk, stopping frequently to smell the air. He would flush a hare and give chase. He was trying to get as close as he could.

RBD

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
renee - my first 3 V's were gifts from friends that brought them here after 2 yrs in a interment camp - 1000yrs of breeding and now we have a standard ? yes it is nice to have guidelines and a starting point when looking for your V - you must be from Hungary and a big pain n the ass to me - your country almost let the breed go to extinction - the expatriots that brought the breed to this country USA are my hero's - order this off the menu - to judge is to be judged

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'll let Suliko speak for herself because I have never met Pacsirta. But, I know Pacsirta is from Hungary and given the pictures and videos I've seen on here, Pacsirta appears to be the same color as most of the golden-rust colored vizslas I've seen. Check out her most recent "red mountain goats" post.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Renee,
It's definitely apparent you have a niche selected for your breeding program. I only note one female on your website, and wonder to myself how much is marketing and how much is actually a breeding program. Regardless, I truly do wish you all the luck and success in the world.

In my opinion, I think that limiting the Vizsla of today to only the dogs left in Hungary is a disservice to the breed as a whole. Limiting the gene pool to one microcosm of the globe where the breed was virtually extinguished would give me pause. The push for Breeding for "color" is the ruination of many breeds.
Every breed develops and changes throughout time and location dependent upon the desires of those who support and compete in the breed. For example, A Vizsla in the Western US where expanses are vast and game is different will likely be somewhat variant from one that is bred for tight woods and different game in Europe. In my opinion, that diversity helps the breed, not hinders it. Having different types to breed to allows one to breed back in lost aspects without having to outcross to another breed. These lost variables happen in any breed and breeding program over time. Even the "Masters" of the breed will change or alter the breed over time to successfully work in the ever changing landscape of our world. I like that there are variations within a central Vizsla theme.

Personally, I'll look to breed for Health, temperment, brains, natural field ability and the like. Color is last on my list.
Give me an intelligent, strong, healthy mahogany dog with a high head and high tailset, white on his toes and a flash on his chest that can hold a covey of grouse on the Praire at 30 yards on a windy October morning and retrieve from the brambles or pond anyday.
I'll Happily Toast him with Pálinka and eat my baguette.

Ken

·
Registered
914 Posts
flynnandlunasmom, you are right - my little one doesn't really stand out colorwise amongst other Vs when we're out and about. She and Sophie actually are almost the same color! (I can only probably tell a little difference). Sometimes I even get confused which one is which, especially when they are asleep. I love it though! More fun! :D

About the color - yes, I too have read about the French roll being the color of the original V. I have to say, reneevanm, the top of the rolls you posted are much darker than the bottom. So, mine fit right somewhere in-between! :D

I'll put a few pics up with my girls. Pacsirta, the little one, is my Hungarian import; Sophie, the oldest, is my "Made in the USA".

I do use some photoshop to enhance the color. So, the first pic - my two crazies in the woods (photoshop-enhanced); second - sitting for a pic (taken with mobile phone, no photoshop).
Third pic - just because they're cute (photoshop-enhanced) ;D

P.S. I know a Vizsla in Latvia (a Hungarian import) that gets lots of compliments on color from many international judges. I'll try and get a pic to upload up here.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
reneevanm said:
My post was not mean to insult any ones dog and should not be taken personally. It was posted in the interests of education and is directed toward prospective new Vizsla owners as they often visit forums prior to approaching a breeder for the purchase of a pup.

The Hungarian Vizsla breed is a Hungarian breed, always has been and always will be. The breed standard has been under assault worldwide for some time and is straying far from the original as envisioned by its creators in its country of origin.

I decided to post as I had visited this site and saw a post from someone requesting a breeder who had dark red dogs, as though he were ordering an item on the menu at a local restaurant. Sadly enough, this is the mentality of many people have in the USA when beginning their search for a pup and it is borne out of ignorance and lack of respect for a breed.. Sadly also, there are breeders with little integrity who will go with the flow and feed the demand. I have no doubt the poster found the red dog he was looking for.

reneevanm
countryoforiginvizslas.com
Can you post/translate what it says about any white markings? I would be interested to see what they might say about that, and what has been lost in translation.
I see the white marks as just as big a problem in the breed. I know they probably come from pointers that have slipped in there. While I can appreciate the "hunt/point" this addition probably added to the breed, I still hate to see dogs with white blazing chests grace the covers of AKC based magazines. If my dog had white I would not love her any less, but I would also acknowledge that it is not standard. Just like I would love a long haired, but would never breed a long haired on purpose. I am shocked (though not really as what do you expect from such a big organization) at what I see is "allowed/ignored" in the field and show ring in this breed, when it comes to white markings.

I do own a rather red colored Vizsla, but had never known she was supposed to be "baguette" colored. All things I have read are what others often read like "rust" "brown with red tint" "golden rust"

Then again maybe it comes down to the right light?? She looks pretty baguette colored here ;-) I would find it really hard to determine what color that is, and I am a baker too!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Renee - glad 2 C you got to post an advertisment for your future kennel - if you read any posts here - you would know how we feel about this !

·
Registered
718 Posts
reneevanm said:
If I had been properly educated, as to what a true to type Vizsla was
I truly do understand and applaud your passion. I also reiterate I wish you all the best and great success.

I am not attempting to argue, rather offer rebuttal to the educational message.

I think perhaps where people are getting rubbed a bit wrong is that the educational message is only the current Hungarian Version of the Standard and it's interpretation therof by the Hungarian consultant of said standard is "true to type". Variants to this consultant's interpretation of the current Hungarian standard then by default are not. Correct?

In the U.S. the AKC is the pre-eminent dog registry and those standards are to which the Vizsla Club of America adheres. That does not make those of us breeding and competing Vizslas in the U.S. to the AKC and VCA standards wrong, which is essentially the tone of the message. The same would hold true for other Nations and registries.

It is a prospective owners responsibility to thoroughly educate himself before reaching out to a breeder. Purchasing a pup is should not be an impulse decision and much research should be done.
On this we could not be in more agreement!

Ken

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Sorry an AD is still an AD as you just put in your last post ! being color blind I hope my V is still a V - as you try to save us from ourselves - please leave the AD's for your kennel off the post!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts