Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 6 month old pup gets car sick. He makes it about 5 miles before throwing up. We are doing short drives around the house. Car windows cracked open, even have him positioned so he can look out the front window. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
check the ears, having any gunk in it can make them motion sick while in a car.
ginger - tends to soothe the stomach.
make very short trips to fun places, gradually lengthening the ride.
I would not have the window open, the fume coming in can make them sick too.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Tika could not ride in the car without getting motion sick.
Eventually we found that a car sling that attached to the headrests of the front and rear seats, and a dog bed, allowed her to lie sideways to the motion, and be safely supported.
It wasn't 100% effective, but she could make the trip to the Vet and back, and hour each way, without incident. The rest of the V's I've had never got car sick. Quite the opposite in fact. ;)

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
Elvis used to suffer travel sickness, I found that half a ginger snap biscuit half an hour before travelling sorted him out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, will try that too !
My v Ruby did the same thing. Try not to feed before going for short rides until they get used to it. Inner ear isn’t fully developed I was told at that age, but she stopped doing it at about 7 months , she’s 9 months now absolutely no problems. She recently went 2 1/2 hours one way and we turned around and came back another 2 hours after only being out of the car for an hour and a half . No issues at all. That was her first long drive. So hang in there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts