Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bende has been my first dog actively involved in dog sports and competitions. So I am learning along the way what the needs of an athlete canine are and how to address them.

So far i have learned to:

increase probiotics during competitions/ hunts
moisten up food with lots of water and broth (hydration and collagen)
add joint protective supplements / natural treats
regular stretches and massage
chiropractor adjustment (we had our first session yesterday, oh my those pops were scary, but his gait was fully different, extended afterwards and he put his head into the lap of the chiropractor to say thank you)
avoid jumping from high up on concrete surface

I am looking for any further advises / feedback /experience from the forum. Many thanks

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
I'm not sure if you have considered giving the dogs a lighter workout, the day before a competition. And have them rest inbetween jumpes, or braces.
I also carry my own water when away from home. It just helps cut down on stomach issues.
I've used honey, if I see a dog needs a little energy boost. It works well if they are in the field all day.
Which chiropractor did you use?
When Shine gets released from A&M, I'm considering taking her to Jackie.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very good ones, thank you so much. i do the water whenever i can, but if we are traveling for a week or so then i start transitioning them over to bottled water ahead of time and stick to that brand during that time. dogs being dogs though will drink into water which was not offered by me though (i.e. hunt test), so it is not a 100% solution, but better than nothing.
will definitely keep the honey in mind.

Jackie, everyone i asked recommended her, she seems to be the go to person for dogs, equines and as i have heard lot of humans too. she was awesome, i was more than impressed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts