Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I got the disappointing news that my WHV to be will not be. The breeding is cancelled as my breeder's friend who was going to whelp the litter has some health issues to deal with. There aren't any other breeders with unsold/future litters she feels comfortable referring us to, so she contacted Zoldmali kennels in Hungary to work on importing puppies for those of us who are interested. Zoldmali is one of the best kennels for wirehairs and my breeder's connection to them is one of the main reasons I chose her. I don't think I'm guaranteed a spot yet, but if it works out I'll end up getting my V earlier and from the very best Hungary has to offer. Not so bad for a silver lining. This is my first experience with breeders, but I'm impressed with how hard she's working to find me a quality dog when she could just return the deposit and be done with it.

I know a few of you have imported dogs, but has anyone had a planned breeding cancelled? With all the threads about puppy buying and breeders lately, I think this is an interesting scenario to discuss.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Re: Cancelled litter

Just a small thought...
Our Hungarian friend who is a vet,says a good pup is rarely sold out of the country :-( It's no garantee of quality just because it comes from Hungary.
Sorry to be negative.
On the up side,if you only want a companion, I've heard good reports on imported dogs that have come into the UK.

·
Administrator
7,999 Posts

If she has faith in her breeder I wouldn't be worried.
If they referr or import for a client, they are putting their on name on the line.
I would just be concerned about the summer heat.
With good reason, most airlines won't fly animals when the temps rise over a certain degree.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Cancelled litter

I have a friend here in Texas who has a Zoldmali import. I assure you that nice dogs are indeed exported.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I appreciate the warning, Vida, but some of the top breeders in the US and UK for wirehaired v's have imported from zoldmali and their dogs routinely win in the ring and in the field. I still don't like the idea of a puppy on a trans-Atlantic flight, but my other options are to wait another year or longer for a suitable litter or reconsider getting a smooth vizsla. Not the worst options, but also not ideal. Someone is trying to teach me patience. :)

The summer heat isn't something I'd thought about though. :-\ I'll be sure to ask Zsofi about it when she contacts me. Thanks TR.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Vida said:
Just a small thought...
Our Hungarian friend who is a vet,says a good pup is rarely sold out of the country :-( It's no garantee of quality just because it comes from Hungary.
Sorry to be negative.
On the up side,if you only want a companion, I've heard good reports on imported dogs that have come into the UK.
No guarantee at all Vida, just NEW bloodlines.......

Same old same old doesn't mean quality either.....

http://hodj.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZSghZmd/0/XL/i-ZSghZmd-XL.jpg

Hobbsy

·
Registered
322 Posts

Ok so y'all think I was bitching make that post :-\, but just for the sake of healthy discussion....
Please read again your posts/ thread 'how to choose a breeder'.
All the advice we give is blown out the water when we advocate buying a pup 'blind' through a third party?!
Yes I would import but only if I could do my research in that country,visit the breeder,see the dam, plus all the recommended investigations that I would do if I were buying a pup locally.
Importing has become straightforward especially here in europe.
As long as we ( outside Hungary)breed dogs that are sound ,true to type,and have a low breeding coefficient they are no less of a vizsla than one born in Budapest.
Thoughts????

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I really did appreciate your thought and rereading my post, it could sound a bit naive/rosy-eyed, "OMG, my breeder is pulling a bait and switch scheme with a random Hungarian breeder. Isn't it great!?" I'm not as happy about the situation as I seemed. I had just heard the news and was trying to stay positive in light of the possibility that I wouldn't be getting a dog after all. My breeder only has one litter a year and won't have any next year. Anyway, so I appreciate your healthy dose of reality to make sure I'm thinking critically.

I also didn't mean to imply that these were quality dogs because they're from Hungary, though unlike with Vizslas, quality WHVs can be hard to come by in the States. I know these to be quality outside of my breeder's word alone. That doesn't mean all the good advice about selecting breeders goes out the window, very much the opposite, but there are some unique aspects to my situation and to the WHV. For the sake of guest readers I can comment more on those later. I don't think this needs to become a defense of this breeder, but I can list the steps I take.

Enough talk about a dog I don't have for now. Off to the woods with the one I do.

·
Registered
594 Posts

You are so polite, Einspeinner. I read your post and thought how wonderful it was that you were being set up with a first class breeder. It sounded as if you were already aware of the breeder and their excellence.

There are several breeders who I know enough about that I would trust sight unseen. I would say they are rare, but a good/great breeder's reputation can precede him/her. Most of the breeders we looked at were "small time." Maybe some in the area knew about them, but I certainly didn't. I had to check them out from scratch and utilize smart buying practices.

If I had seen a certain line of dogs referred to repetitively in a positive light, admired that line's performance, knew people who purchased from them, etc. I think a lot of prep work is already done.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this has certainly been a busy week! The movers arrived Monday to start packing up and until yesterday our house resembled a maze of cardboard. This morning we left Texas to head back to South Carolina. No matter how many times we move away it remains home and I'm absolutely thrilled to return. I also have a job interview lined up for next week with a company that seems as excited to hire me as I am to work for them. I don't think I could be more blessed right now, except that in a month a little puppy is going to fly all the way from Hungary to be my best friend for the next 15 years.

The breeder in Hungary emailed me last Saturday with info on a litter to be born in June and asked about my plans for the dog and to share a bit about myself. After talking a bit more and doing my research (detailed below), I agreed on a puppy from that litter and she needed to know what airport to send it to in order to give me a final price. So I mentioned the potential issue with airlines not flying animals in hot temps, as it can still be well into the 80s in September (yuck), and after looking up average temps thought D.C. might be the nearest airport within the required temperature range. That's when she mentioned she had a puppy going to D.C. at the end of June and an available littermate, so if I wanted her, they could be shipped together (better for the pups) and at less cost (better for me). I thought it over for a few days and finally decided to go for it!

As promised, here is my detailed desc. of my research. If you're against importing, this isn't meant to convince you otherwise. We all have our personal standards to which we are accountable. I checked up the pedigrees, hip scores, and titles of the parents. I looked at every picture and watched every video I could find of her puppies' living conditions at the kennel, the sire/dam, her dogs working in the fields and at shows, and those from her puppies in their new homes. I read everything she wrote about her dogs on her website and at her posts on Facebook to try and understand who she is as a person. What I found is someone who loves her dogs more than anything in the world and who takes the preservation of the breed very seriously. No, importing is not ideal when it means I can't see it all for myself, but I believe I've taken every step I'm able to ensure that I'm getting a puppy from a responsible breeder.

Time for me to shut up already. Without further ado, here she is.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,981 Posts

Vida said:
Ok so y'all think I was bitching make that post :-\, but just for the sake of healthy discussion....
Please read again your posts/ thread 'how to choose a breeder'.
All the advice we give is blown out the water when we advocate buying a pup 'blind' through a third party?!
Yes I would import but only if I could do my research in that country,visit the breeder,see the dam, plus all the recommended investigations that I would do if I were buying a pup locally.
Importing has become straightforward especially here in europe.
As long as we ( outside Hungary)breed dogs that are sound ,true to type,and have a low breeding coefficient they are no less of a vizsla than one born in Budapest.
Thoughts????
Actually climate plays quite an important role, IMO. I needed a dog that can live and be comfortable here in Canada. The best way I thought was to find a dog born here in the dead of winter. With winter 6 months long, LOL
So far I'm V happy.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
;D ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Moving and new puppy!!! You like living the fast life apparently! ;)

Love the pic of the puppy!!!! She's gorgeous! I bet she's going to be a handful for you when you get her ... you know those overseas types. ;) JK!

·
Administrator
4,174 Posts
well if Roy Bebbington (Gonegos gundogs) imports from Zoldmali that is recommendation enough for me. I've seen his dogs first hand and their offspring are wonderful WHV's.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TAIsMom said:
Moving and new puppy!!! You like living the fast life apparently! ;)
I believe the phrase you're looking for is certifiably insane. ;D

harrigab, Zsofi has a few of Roy's dogs, too. My original breeder, in the States was going to visit Roy when she was in the UK for Crufts, but I guess there was some bad weather so she couldn't get up there. She was majorly disappointed. And no wonder, those pictures of his dogs all sitting perfectly with the moor in the background--looks like heaven to me. Didn't you say somewhere, you think Ruby might have some of his lines in her? Zsofi has a couple bitches that are dead ringers for her.

stryker, I'll be just across the bridge from you in Mt. Pleasant! Do you know of any good off leash places in the area? You have a puppy now, right? We should set up a play date. :)

Some more pics from today. She looks super wirey compared to her siblings!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts