Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my gf grew up with labradors and ive been dying for a viszla for a long time and have recently started reading more about them with a view of getting 1. I'm in university at the moment so I'm not usually away all day 9-5 (have a lot of half days and some days off) and my girlfriend does shift work so there will be days that she will be in the house too so this would be a great time to get a puppy and train it. My worry is I will graduate In 2022 and there is the possibility for days when the dog would have to be left in the house for 8 hours. They would get an hour walk (30-40mins off leash) in the morning around 7am and an hour or more off leash at a park/forrest/beach with constant fetch in the evening. Weekends would be spent outdoors. Do you think with proper training (crating etc) they could be settled enough (as they wouldnt be a puppy at this stage) to do this provided it's getting the exercise and left toys for entertainment?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes, They can adapt.
I have had Vizslas my entire working career. Sometimes my schedule was 12 hour days, and sometimes 12 hour nights, six days a week. My wife used to have the same schedule, so I understand your concern.
To be fair, 8 hours is about the maximum I think a dog should be expected to "hold it". That's a long time. If my dog is left in the house unable to relieve itself for 8 hours, that's on me if they make a mess. Thankfully, I am no longer in that position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts