Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Thanks, datacan... Very interesting reading! Willie often does the paw lift, but I don't know who he's trying to calm, me or himself. He does it in the absence of any other dogs. :)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They may be trying to comunicate with us. I tried some of these signals on Sam and he behaved unusually calm for a 6 month old. ::)
I yawned when he yawned and blinked softly and tried not to stare at him.
Sounds ridiculous, I know cats blink slowly to signal kisses. Was not aware dogs use similar cues.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Interesting. Pumpkin bows, yawn, turns her head away, & freezes. She also smiles :) I interpret this behavior as positive. She only does it when we greet 1st thing in the morning or when we come home after a separation. It is clearly a smile, & Pumpkin is the only dog we've had that does it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I tried the yawning and turning my head when my weimaraner was jazzed up and she settled right down and laid down without doing anymore than the calming signal. :eek: I thought that was pretty cool.... coincidence maybe but hey I'll continue to try them. ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
kellygh said:
Interesting. Pumpkin bows, yawn, turns her head away, & freezes. She also smiles :) I interpret this behavior as positive. She only does it when we greet 1st thing in the morning or when we come home after a separation. It is clearly a smile, & Pumpkin is the only dog we've had that does it.
Rosie definitely smiles at us--it's adorable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts